Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grim Writing Challenge #1
[] 
[Deleted]
Thanks given by: A-Man
I would like to humbly spectacularly apply as a participant in this grim event.
[Image: dropboxJed37100x100.gif]

EDIT: If nobody else enters by the end of this fine hebdomad, do I win by defaultdomad?
Henry David Thoreau Wrote:
Let your life be a counter-friction to stop the machine.
Thanks given by: A-Man
Neat challenge. I would like to apply.

One question beforehand though, do you give constructive criticism along with your rating? If not, can I request it? I have had the feeling recently that my text-quality is degrading more than it used to.
[sig placeholder until my new sig is finished]
should totally allow people to be all trolley on their birthday :D
Thanks given by:
The True Incantation of Seven Knights (Click to View)
The Grimoire and Cup (Click to View)
Enjoy!
I'll edit this later to add the rest once I've written them.
Thanks given by: Reaper
Just came around to say that there are some interesting tasks among those. I shall be interested in seeing what other people can come up with. I'm going to to tackle one or two myself, though I'm not going to enter the competition. Exams go first.
Also I'm completely unable to stay within a 200 word limit, haha.

(08-05-2012, 09:37 AM)The Lost Global Mod Wrote:  One question beforehand though, do you give constructive criticism along with your rating? If not, can I request it?
I'm not Duketsu, but if anyone wants feedback and doesn't mind someone else giving it, I'd be happy to do so. Not going to happen before the deadline though, rather some days afterwards.

By the way, when I read the title, I had to think of
... which totally cracked me up. :p
The picture's from the film Highlander in case people haven't seen it. Though the point is lost anyway in that case.
Thanks given by: Jed37
Sure, Reaper, feedback is always more than welcome!

And by the way, thread bumped because I finished a new story :P
Thanks given by:
I couldn't think of what to do for the other stories, and I became preoccupied with a summer assignmeent that is soon to be due.

My apologies, I have failed you.
Thanks given by:
What day do we have, the twentieth? Good, then I think I'm not yet gravedigging :P

I'm sorry Jed, I completely forgot that I had promised to comment on your stories. Well, better late than never I guess. Here goes:

The Incantation: The maximum wordcount was rather limiting, wasn't it? Good to have a short background story, but the end – to me - didn't really feel like one, it lacked the impact of the taverns one. Perhaps if you'd describe how they become that ultimate warrior instead of that they would.
Taking the story into account, the style was a tad too casual for my liking, but that's personal preference.

I liked the Grimoire story a lot more. The little 'struck by' wordplay was a nice start and the end left me smiling, which certainly is a good thing. I know that the word limit didn't leave you a lot of freedom to add something, but just a (half-)sentence that tells how he becomes drunk – or a drunk statement - before 'You're the drunkest' would have helped to make it less abrupt.
I liked the writing style in that one, it really felt like he was telling the story to someone. Good job with change of style between dialogue and description, too.
Also, good grammar and spelling

All in all, great job. It's kind of sad that you were the only one to take part. So much the more credit to you for writing those stories. But who am I to talk? I didn't exactly help in that department ;) I intend to recompense for it, though.

~Reaper

Thanks given by: Jed37
Aw, I didn't mind a delay, I'm just glad to hear from ya! It was fun to write! And yeah, the word limit was a ball and chain for both stories.

In the Incantation story, I kinda meant it to be sudden; my main point was to give it a morbid end. Corpses fusing together in a bloody mess does the trick nicely, in my opinion. xD

And in retrospect, I totally agree. The drunkenness is way too sudden/unexplained. <commence tiny revisions>
Thanks given by:
Having people do three from a list of five seems good.

I may have had issues with the limit, but I doubt raising it would help much, at least in my case. I'd just write more and still have to cut stuff out. That's just how limits work, and it isn't a bad thing. 200 words is as good a cap as any.

Because of how short the stories have to be, I think the vaguer prompts were definitely easier/more fun.

Like, I'm not sure how I would have been able to cover the revenge story within the word limit, particularly because of the whole "spell at a certain time" thing. I liked the incantation and tavern prompts more because they suggested details (what with the names and such) instead of requiring them.

Don't get me wrong, though, the gun and Eustace prompts were great, I just personally couldn't come up with anything good for them.

More than anything though, it just needs more people to join, I think. The fact that they didn't isn't about the contest itself, so much as about bad luck and (possibly) a lack of active users in the writing section.
Thanks given by: