Little Fighter Empire - Forums

Full Version: Alectric's face pic tutorial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alectric's Face pic tutorial
[Image: facepictutorial.png]

I know it's very long, but there is a lot to cover, so please, bear with it :mouthopen: .

i hope this helps someone here :P
now i know it isnt LF2 style, but this is just how i make my face pics, and you may be able to implement some of the techniques into yours.

Also, i tried to go into the best detail i could. Its friday night, and im tired, so this hopefully is good enough quality.

Please, no flaming. If flaming does occur, ill start issuing a zero tolerance approach to those who do.
Critique is welcome however.

I guess credits are in order to Blue Phoenix, whose tutorial helped me out so much.
Amazing work. The only problem- irregular black lines.
...And by "really rough sketch" you mean Elias? :caveman:
And why to use multiple colors instead of shading tool?
(06-11-2010, 10:54 AM)SirisRhazael Wrote: [ -> ]And why to use multiple colors instead of shading tool?

not every program has a shading tool.
plus, to get some special effects you got to not only use lighter/daker colours, you also got tho change the hue/saturation.
Correct, here have a cookie[Image: cookie.gif] ~ Alectric
thax ;D ~ Bamboori
Good tutorial Alec. Ducks worldwide would be proud of your valiant friday night efforts to make LFE better by giving some seriously good face picture tutorials.

I may make some slight criticism though if thats okay with you.
You mentioned a C and an E shape for the ear. I agree with the C shape entirely but the E shape is what gets me. Shouldn't it be more of an S shape? with the top curve being towards the centre of the face and the very top point of the S almost touching the outside of the ear. Don't know if it's just the 'Alec Style' of doing ears with the E.

Also with the eyes, by the looks of things you didn't shade those. See, the brow protrudes out from the face and blocks some of the light. Thus the top of the eye (white part) should be slightly darker then the lower part. This would give a slightly more rounded and realistic affect. Saying that, you probably just missed it out accidently on your friday night tired phase.

Congratulations for the tutorial though - it is very well structured :P
thanks for the feed back.
the style of ears i draw are like the ones i showed, more cartoon styled (quote a lot like the simpsons) But like you said, the S shape is a lot more like lf2 style (look at your face pic for example).

i actually did try to shade the eyes, but i guess it wasnt obvious enough. I just used a slight burn tool around the edges.
(06-13-2010, 09:26 AM)Alectric Wrote: [ -> ]burn tool
die. Good job, that's the sort of tool i use all the time!! I LOVE YOU ALECTRIC!!

Please, do me the favor and stick to the brush-tool. You really don't need anything other than the brush-tool for lf2-sprites. Also, using, let's say, light-gray with a low opacity gives you much more control over your shading on the eyes than the burn-tool.

With that being said, it's a really neat tutorial. Funny though, that your style is always showing through; especially when you compare your dA-submissions with this pic :P
But yeah, great tutorial. I'd have maybe made the bg-gradient a bit less "colorful" (stick to one hue and just vary its brightness ;) )

@ v: I still dislike those tools.
nice tutorial aside, that face looks gaunt / just-got-out-of-bed :P

thats probably because i darked a little under his eyes, and his skin is kinda pale :P ~ Alectric
awesome tut +1 ;)