Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atari 2600 style game contest
(05-16-2011, 10:11 PM)Bamboori Wrote:  so please: take one or two hours, make a small game and post it here. maybe even throw in a little love.

I would, but I think all you're requirements are idiotic... They make no sense imo. You see none of your competitions had any requirements that make the actual programming difficult. All the requirements are just stylistic ones and their only purpose is to ensure that the games will look like absolute sh*t.

I just don't see the point. Since the programming challenge part is non existent, the challenge becomes more about design and visuals, except you are limiting the visual part as well. So it essentially becomes a competition of game design, but virtually no one is capable of coming up with new game designs/mechanics now days since it's all been done.

The end result? A bunch of sh**** looking games with rehashed game ideas/concepts on a crappy game engine(game maker).

Now if you're challenge was to actually program FOR the atarti 2600 (http://www.atariage.com/2600/programming/index.html), I might have participated.

PS: Don't make the next challenge programming for the atari 2600, I looked at it and it's hard :p. Just stop making competitions which involve the word "pixels, bits, colors, sprites"
[Image: doty7Xn.gif]

10 ʏᴇᴀʀs sɪɴᴄᴇ ɪʀᴄ ɢᴏᴏᴅ.ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟsᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴘᴀᴛʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ sᴛᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀ ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ɪʀᴄ ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴘᴇsᴛᴇʀ ᴢᴏʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsɪsᴛ ʜɪs sᴇxɪɴᴇss ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢʟᴇss. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ɪs ɴᴇᴀʀ.ɪ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ɪʀᴄ ʟᴏɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴛᴏ sʟᴇᴇᴘ.

Thanks given by:
D:
well, the actual purpose was to revive the retro feeling for the console here, but it failed at the point already when no one even knew it...
i guess i will have to think of a better competition... =_=
Thanks given by:
@Silva LOL "atarti"
I'll maybe make one...
So just put me on join list :D
edit : Hey, what if we make a game actually FOR atari 2600, then we play on an emulator!
for example http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/a2600/
I think all eggs have Anatidaephobia: the fear that youre being watching by a duck....
A blogspot project....
Thanks given by:
(05-20-2011, 02:48 PM)ethanara Wrote:  edit : Hey, what if we make a game actually FOR atari 2600, then we play on an emulator!

I think you have absolutely no idea about exactly how much work is involved in creating even such a simple game as Tetris...
Quote of the Day f***ing Year (Click to View)
Thanks given by: Bamboori
Oh, i have an idea of how much, i just didnt think about it when i maked the post :D
I think all eggs have Anatidaephobia: the fear that youre being watching by a duck....
A blogspot project....
Thanks given by: