Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bored. Programs showcase.
Good morning everyone. So as school starts today (in about 4 hours), I was going through my older programming work as the last thing I will be able to do comfortably without concerning my studies. And so as I was going through them, I came upon these 2 programs I made which held a hilarious story I had last year.
So last year (grade 11), I decided to participate at our school's science fare (a yearly event where the school is open for every student to showcase their science related work, and for people to come and watch. At the end of the day, judges assigned by the school rates all the projects and reward the best 3 of them.) aiming for the first rank that year. And so I made these 2 programs hoping I would achieve what I was hoping for. Unfortunately, everything went messed up and my wave simulator (which I am showing below) was mistook for a music player (it sounds funny, but it was very sad then) by one of the school ICT teachers. Here is a memoir I wrote few days after that (lol):
And yes I know I was an idiot.

The A-Wave Simulator

[Image: screen10.png]
[Image: screen11.png]

The simulator supports simulating both Longitudinal and Transverse waves. Two waves (A & B) can be simulated at the same time, and are both needed in order to allow the Interference. Reflection of the wave can be allowed too, and the Interference of the 2 waves (the original and the reflected one) produces a stationary wave and much more.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?dbmec16hdbss6nj

Source code: Well, before you take a look at it, I would like to say, BEWARE! The code sucks when at neatness perspective. No multiple files, no classes and the code isn't commented at all. You still want to see it? http://pastebin.com/9gjSQ4SS

The A-Atom Simulator: Bhor's Model

[Image: nYqwBww.png]
Pretty much self-explanatory. You place nucleons and push an electron to a direction of a tangent of your atom shell to have the orbiting motion. You can as well create 2 atoms near each other to explain the way covalent bonding is formed (sharing the revolving electron(s) )

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/881co2..._Model.rar

Controls:
Right mouse click to create an Electron.
Left mouse click to create a Positive Nucleon.
You can hold the mouse and pull to make the object move in that direction you pulled into.

Source: http://pastebin.com/SQftbk6b

Almost school time now =( .
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: YinYin
(08-25-2013, 12:49 AM)A-MAN Wrote:  The A-Wave Simulator
Wait, was that your school now or not?
You should've went straight to the physics section and convince them to get you a spot there the moment you realized they wanted to put your program next to other programs. (Your plan was to stand out next to other physics projects after all, not to drown between flashy computer stuff.)

What was the prize for winning? If it was nothing worthwhile I'd actually say you were smart enough to leave stupid people to their puny school meddlings. Probably saved you a whole day of doing nothing but trying to explain fundamental stuff to people that aren't willing to listen.

Something that's missing for me: some preset real live waves to simply pick. Let's say one for each colour, one as an example for all the other defined areas of the electromagnetic spectrum (gamma, x-ray, micro, radio, you name it). And some sound waves in different media (air, water, stone).
Would be cool to compare such waves while they get simulated. Without such a feature I admit this program is kinda useless. (not that sound would make it any better)

(08-25-2013, 12:49 AM)A-MAN Wrote:  The A-Atom Simulator: Bhor's Model
Mister Bohr ... well ... I hope you have a go at this again in the future with more advanced models.
Also as much as you've paid attention to the scale with the waves you could've tried to do the same here.
And it seems to be missing the compensating effect of electrons to the repulsion of nucleons. I can't manage to create a simple H2 with the nucleon repulsion switched on.
Thanks given by: A-Man
I DID register my project at the Physics section, but the problem was that the number of Physics related projects was very low (everyone doing stuff on upthrust force and flashy ordinary printed boards that explain ), and so they had a small section for it which doesn't even have a projector; So I was moved to the computer section. I couldn't just abandon the project I worked on for hours, so I thought I should give it a try at the computer section. And just to let you know, all what was there at the computer section was worth nothing at all; A ram, CPU, HDD, processor unit and a motherboard labeled. Some stolen flash games, and a CLI calculator the teacher did. There was also this robot a student "built" (nah its not what you're thinking, he just bought the robot and put his parts together according to the instructions written at it's manual =_=). Most of the projects fell within the Chemistry category (they were either about lighting a bulb with a lemon, or that potato cannon thingy which was actually cool but with nothing scientific about it). The first rank was to another repeated project from youtube; a piano that shoots fire accordingly with each note. The second was just a mixture of soap and a specific hydrocarbon which can be rubbed in your and, and it lights fire without hand damage making you look like a super hero.. The third rank went to the potato cannon. Well all they were looking for were flashy stuff which is looking good. Well you see the design of the simulators is pretty simple and it doesn't appeal to anyone (I personally loved these kind of retro graphics and the way data is proposed as raw, but people don't like them it seems).

And the prize.. wasn't really anything worth it. And well, I would've been smart if I left like normal and alright. But rather, mentally hurt like an idiot.. Good old days I guess? lool.

And about the picking waves type feature: I was really into doing that, but I didn't have enough time as I started working on everything just few days before the deadline. Also, all the stuff in there are just the fundamentals of waves which we were taking at that time. And I would agree its uselessness for doing some real simulation stuff, but it can be if used for teaching and explaining how stuff works.

Well yeah, you are right. Protons are supposed to be attracted toward the electrons to some extent as well. I might continue working on that in the future (and perhaps, allow Schrodinger's to be simulated as well). I really rushed the Atom simulator, so I didn't pay much attention to the scales and couldn't add all the feature I wanted.
And yes, I've always enjoyed physics and programming. Doing them both together is unimaginably fun for me!
Something I've really wanted to do (and I am definitely unquestionably going to do) is a tool which simulates shapes (this includes Pyraminds, Cuboids, Spheres...etc) of any n-dimension for you. Check it out, it is really interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercube
A model of a 4D Cube (Tesseract):
[Image: 8-cell.gif]

Offtopic: So I had this crazy idea from the fact that the 3DS uses 2 camera's to record 3D videos. The idea is: MAYBE, having a 3rd eye would've allowed us to see shapes in 4D (and so having a(n) x number of eyes can let us see things in x+1D).

Thanks given by: Marko
(08-25-2013, 01:38 PM)A-MAN Wrote:  Something I've really wanted to do (and I am definitely unquestionably going to do) is a tool which simulates shapes (this includes Pyraminds, Cuboids, Spheres...etc) of any n-dimension for you. Check it out, it is really interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercube
A model of a 4D Cube (Tesseract):
[Image: 8-cell.gif]
I like this even better to get a grip on the 4th dimension: http://www.superliminal.com/cube/applet.html
(you can turn it any way you like on your own rather than having it auto rotate on just one axis)
Well those are just projections of 4D objects as 3D objects on a 2D plane, which is very far fetched. Cool still.

(08-25-2013, 01:38 PM)A-MAN Wrote:  Offtopic: So I had this crazy idea from the fact that the 3DS uses 2 camera's to record 3D videos. The idea is: MAYBE, having a 3rd eye would've allowed us to see shapes in 4D (and so having a(n) x number of eyes can let us see things in x+1D).
A 3rd eye would only allow you to see 4D if it also were at a different position in 4D space than your other 2 eyes (which are at different positions in 3D space).
The only 4th dimension we can actually perceive though is time - and having access to a third eye at a different time doesn't really sound biologically possible.
(08-25-2013, 02:58 PM)YinYin Wrote:  Well those are just projections of 4D objects as 3D objects on a 2D plane, which is very far fetched. Cool still.

(08-25-2013, 01:38 PM)A-MAN Wrote:  Offtopic: So I had this crazy idea from the fact that the 3DS uses 2 camera's to record 3D videos. The idea is: MAYBE, having a 3rd eye would've allowed us to see shapes in 4D (and so having a(n) x number of eyes can let us see things in x+1D).
A 3rd eye would only allow you to see 4D if it also were at a different position in 4D space than your other 2 eyes (which are at different positions in 3D space).
The only 4th dimension we can actually perceive though is time - and having access to a third eye at a different time doesn't really sound biologically possible.
True that its very fetched. But still, using this 4rth axis can have you draw graphs representing a 4th degree mathematical problems XD. Even though time is still a not-accessible dimension, this 4th axis can still be used to represent it as well. Plus I am gonna make the shapes rotatable to any angle of any of the 4 axis. Pretty sure this can be of some advanced use if a grapher was to be implemented on it.

Thanks given by:
Well, you can have a coordinate system with N axes, but its usage is.... debatable :p

Sure, you can rotate stuff around anything in any dimension then but if I'm not quite sure if it'll help you with anything. To be honest, I find 3D-plots already hard enough to get a grasp on, especially when you have 3 dimensions PLUS an intensity dimension; something similar to this or this. The reason anyone would want a fourth spatial dimension is outside of my (hyper)spheres. Unless you plan on programming a wormhole-simulator lol
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: YinYin , A-Man
(08-25-2013, 03:32 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  Well, you can have a coordinate system with N axes, but its usage is.... debatable :p

Sure, you can rotate stuff around anything in any dimension then but if I'm not quite sure if it'll help you with anything. To be honest, I find 3D-plots already hard enough to get a grasp on, especially when you have 3 dimensions PLUS an intensity dimension; something similar to this or this. The reason anyone would want a fourth spatial dimension is outside of my (hyper)spheres. Unless you plan on programming a wormhole-simulator lol

Oh thanks for that page on rotational matrices! I guess OpenGL is my best bet here since it uses vectors and matrices by default.. Too bad I don't have enough knowledge on that yet, but I am definitely gonna code it someday soon. And those 2 links you sent on 4d graphs, LoL, made me realize that I still have a lot to learn, and how awesome and interesting a college can get (guessing you study these stuff at college?). I dunno much about a wormhole except that it has got infinite mass with infinite gravity which means it is literally a hole at the space-time fabric? I remember reading something about this somewhere saying that if you were to enter a wormhole, you can go back in time (not sure, but its a very interesting subject indeed XD). Dunno how simulating and drawing that would relate to 4D graphs, but oh well. I will get to know all these stuff soonish (you're majoring at Physics right? I am definitely gonna major at that too XD).

Thanks given by:
(08-25-2013, 05:32 PM)A-MAN Wrote:  Oh thanks for that page on rotational matrices! I guess OpenGL is my best bet here since it uses vectors and matrices by default.. Too bad I don't have enough knowledge on that yet, but I am definitely gonna code it someday soon.
Sounds cool! Never really worked with OpenGL myself, so I guess you're one step ahead of me in that matter (or two?)

(08-25-2013, 05:32 PM)A-MAN Wrote:  And those 2 links you sent on 4d graphs, LoL, made me realize that I still have a lot to learn, and how awesome and interesting a college can get (guessing you study these stuff at college?).
Mmmh, not really studying that kind of stuff. Just one of the ways to visualize heat-diffusion, for example, in a solid body. I rarely use them myself because they might look pretty but the infos they convey is close to zero :p

(08-25-2013, 05:32 PM)A-MAN Wrote:  I dunno much about a wormhole except that it has got infinite mass with infinite gravity which means it is literally a hole at the space-time fabric? I remember reading something about this somewhere saying that if you were to enter a wormhole, you can go back in time (not sure, but its a very interesting subject indeed XD).
Imagine mapping 3D-space onto 2D. Think that our universe is flat, like a piece of paper. Now you wrap this paper round. A wormhole now connects two points on that paper.
MSPaint-graphic for illustratory purposes (Click to View)
Might be worth a read at wikipedia ;)

(08-25-2013, 05:32 PM)A-MAN Wrote:  (you're majoring at Physics right? I am definitely gonna major at that too XD).
Bachelors in Physics + Comp Sci, Masters is going to be Physics only. Might be just me but I have started to find Comp Sci fairly boring :p
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt