Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubutten Beetle
If you have not seen it yet, I spend last weekend participating in the ludum dare game jam.
Which means I created this little game and all the required assets within 48h.

Thanks given by: Gespenst , prince_freeza , MangaD , MnM , Bamboori
So, you are into gaming industry lately :)
Funny game, I tried it :)
How did you came up with such idea?
And also, you worked on sound effects too?
Useful
Thanks given by: YinYin
You made this game within 48 hours. O.o That is pretty amazing!

I took a little glimpse at the source code. You did it using C# and Unity? How exactly did you do it? Xd

Couldn't run it on Linux btw, only 32-bit version available?

Great work! :D
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.
Stop existing. Start living.
@^: Unity has C# as one of its options to do scripting, so it's really just Unity.

I didn't try the game, but it looks good considering it was made for a jam. From watching the video, I felt 7 minutes was too much for one round in a high score based game (I know some games do that, but it isn't a good thing). Unless you think you were playing excellent in the video, consider condensing the game's difficulty level curve, if you're still planning to continue working on this that is.
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

(12-17-2015, 06:23 PM)Faker Wrote:  How did you came up with such idea?
And also, you worked on sound effects too?
The theme was 2 button controls and growing (two themes tied, this is a first for ludum dare - you were allowed to pick either or both). I basically came up with it in the shower Saturday morning after seeing it announced. With just two buttons I knew I wanted some snappy controls and the vines are supposed to be growing upwards (had no time to animate a third one in the background showing that).

Sound was made with Bfxr (just clicking stuff together) and Audacity, pretty simple.
(12-18-2015, 02:33 AM)MangaD Wrote:  Couldn't run it on Linux btw, only 32-bit version available?
I just added 64-bit support for Linux. Tell me if it works :D

(12-18-2015, 07:41 AM)A-Man Wrote:  From watching the video, I felt 7 minutes was too much for one round in a high score based game (I know some games do that, but it isn't a good thing). Unless you think you were playing excellent in the video, consider condensing the game's difficulty level curve, if you're still planning to continue working on this that is.
I do consider condensing it, but this is supposed to be a semi endless runner. If you fail before reaching a 100 you still get a high score. I felt without a goal it is rather boring - and this goal helps with both: having an end to reach and adding more difficulty and stretching the game play out further with added difficulty if one enjoys it enough. I actively avoided low scoring berries in the video to reach 2 million. Other players reaching the 100 berries commonly eat everything they can get and only score just above 1 million, which is considerably faster (< 5 min).
Thanks given by: MangaD
(12-18-2015, 10:18 AM)YinYin Wrote:  Sound was made with Bfxr (just clicking stuff together) and Audacity, pretty simple.

Interesting. :lion:

(12-18-2015, 10:18 AM)YinYin Wrote:  
(12-18-2015, 02:33 AM)MangaD Wrote:  Couldn't run it on Linux btw, only 32-bit version available?
I just added 64-bit support for Linux. Tell me if it works :D

Actually my bad, sorry, the 32-bit version works on 64-bit Linux. I forgot to chmod the executable.
Code:
chmod +x Tubutten\ Beetle.x86

However it has a bug (on linux). :(
I don't know why, but the keys only respond after I move the game window, and stop responding right afterwards. (E.g. right click - nothing happens; move game window a bit - right click - it moves, but any key I press afterwards doesn't work until I move the game window again, also holding the right click stops working after 1 second or so)
Thanks given by:
(12-17-2015, 06:23 PM)Faker Wrote:  However it has a bug (on linux). :(
I don't know why, but the keys only respond after I move the game window, and stop responding right afterwards. (E.g. right click - nothing happens; move game window a bit - right click - it moves, but any key I press afterwards doesn't work until I move the game window again, also holding the right click stops working after 1 second or so)
That's weird. The game should only accept left and right arrow keys anyway (apart from the sound buttons top left).
Guess I'll get myself a Linux distro some time to test these things.

What about the web version?
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2015, 01:29 PM)YinYin Wrote:  That's weird. The game should only accept left and right arrow keys anyway (apart from the sound buttons top left).
Guess I'll get myself a Linux distro some time to test these things.

What about the web version?

Just tested on a 32-bit Linux Mint in VirtualBox, bug is there too.

Web version works just fine and was the first one I played. :)

Ramond edited this post 12-20-2015 02:30 PM because:
Judging by the content of the game, I guess the bug is supposed to be there.
Continuing with this and logging progress here: http://tubuttenbeetle.tumblr.com/
Latest builds of the game being deployed here: http://tubuttenbeetle.tumblr.com/itch.io

Silva found that the linux troubles were fixed with a unity patch that wasn't deployed globally yet - I got the latest one manually, so the next linux build should be working fine. Still want to set up at testing environment for that though, so cross platform it'll be the web version only for now.
Thanks given by: