Poll: What do you think is the more fit name for the current "Hex Editing" sections?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hex Editing
22.22%
2 22.22%
Reverse Engineering
22.22%
2 22.22%
Exe Editing
55.56%
5 55.56%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rename Hex Editing Sections
I suggest we rename the "Hex Editing" sections to "Exe Editing", or even better, "Reverse Engineering". These are my arguments:

-You see a lot of people referring to "hexers" and people who do "hexing"
And that's hilarious, if you look at what it means to hex:

-Most of the topics in the sub-forums do not explain hex-editing techniques but general reverse engineering ones
As proof, none of the topics in the first page of the [2.0]Hex Editing section makes use of a hex editor.

-The name is misleading
Considering the sections' actual content, and how terms derived from it are misused. I can remember myself googling stuff like "hex tutorials", but all I got were ones covering base-16 to base-10 number conversion or vice versa.
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: STM1993 , Rhino.Freak , Som1Lse
YES. I've voted for EXE Editing because that name is more explanatory and is easy on everyone.
Reverse engineering sounds a bit technical so it could be mentioned in the forum description.
(03-20-2016, 06:41 PM)mfc Wrote:  Be the unsqueezable sponge!
My new life motto!
Thanks given by:
Seriously, after all the recognition it has recieved by being known as 'Hex Editing', its pointless to change it now and will just cause confusion.
Thanks given by:
Yes, but if anyone is to pick up reverse engineering, then they have to at least know it by its correct name.

Edit: @^ It's not pointless, really. Reverse engineering goes way beyond LF2. It's only this community that I've ever heard to call it by that.

Thanks given by:
Exe editing is to the point. I voted for it.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
[Image: 11twnjn.png]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I need a spriter to help in my All Stars Project.. So if anyone interested, please contact me.
Thanks given by:
(02-24-2016, 03:52 PM)A-Man Wrote:  Yes, but if anyone is to pick up reverse engineering, then they have to at least know it by its correct name.

Reverse engineering could be mentioned in the forum description. I see it as a name of process by which we are editing exe to our needs. Better to name it to the act itself I think. And again if it is indeed mentioned everywhere inside the forum, interested people may pick it up easily.
(03-20-2016, 06:41 PM)mfc Wrote:  Be the unsqueezable sponge!
My new life motto!
Thanks given by:
Reverse engineering is the name of the area, not a sub-process in it. Like I could see it applied vice versa from what you suggested (reverse engineering being the name of the section, and exe editing being something in the description). "EXE Editing" fails to cover topics like these while "Reverse Engineering" would do:
http://www.lf-empire.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=9369
http://www.lf-empire.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=8104

Thanks given by:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu hex editing wgah'nagl fhtagn.

There is no doubt that the name should be changed. Like literally none at all. Searching for "hex tutorials", thinking you have to understand how a HEX editor works, not even using Cheat Engine/OllyDbg are all examples of things caused by that terrible name. Seriously it needs to be changed. "EXE Editing", "Reverse Engineering", "Fancy Magic Stuff", "Assembly Level Modification", anything but "HEX Editing". The term is just so bad.
As other people have said the description should probably mention the other terms, and I would say it should also mention that it was formerly referred to as "HEX Editing"

This can literally not be changed fast enough.

(02-24-2016, 04:15 PM)A-Man Wrote:  Reverse engineering is the name of the area, not a sub-process in it. Like I could see it applied vice versa from what you suggested (reverse engineering being the name of the section, and exe editing being something in the description).
Technically reverse engineering refers to figuring out how something works, but not necessarily altering it.
Age ratings for movies and games (and similar) have never been a good idea.
One can learn a lot from reinventing wheels.
An unsound argument is not the same as an invalid one.
volatile in C++ does not mean thread-safe.
Do not make APIs unnecessarily asynchronous.
Make C++ operator > again
Trump is an idiot.
Thanks given by: A-Man
lol, yes exactly. "Assembly Level Modification" can be considered, too.

Quote:Technically reverse engineering refers to figuring out how something works, but not necessarily altering it.
Yes, but I think one can include the altering aspect under the same name, right?

I believe "Reverse Engineering" would be the best.

Thanks given by:
"Hex editing" were the first steps of modifying the exe, some 10 years ago. Sure, there were some things like Olly involved but in the end, the instructions were more or less something that can be performed in any hex editor such as "go to offset 00026ece, look for the phrase '6c2010', and change it to 000000". Seemed reasonable to therefore name it "hex editing".

Considering that things are much more sophisticated by now, it's fair enough to rename the section. At the time of writing, "Hex Editing" has 2 votes, "Rev. Eng." has 2, and "Exe Editing" has 4. Guess we'll go with the last then ;)
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: A-Man , Rhino.Freak , T.O.R.N.A.D.O