Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Multiserver 2.0
I haven't thought about it :p
I could design the command so that all the players would have to press F5, but it is not very convenient.
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2016, 06:43 AM)ayalx Wrote:  I haven't thought about it :p
I could design the command so that all the players would have to press F5, but it is not very convenient.
My understanding is that if one player presses F5 every player will go into turbo mode, so all you would have to do is simulate one player pressing F5 when a ping command is issued, and that would be enough.
Age ratings for movies and games (and similar) have never been a good idea.
One can learn a lot from reinventing wheels.
An unsound argument is not the same as an invalid one.
volatile in C++ does not mean thread-safe.
Do not make APIs unnecessarily asynchronous.
Make C++ operator > again
Trump is an idiot.
Thanks given by:
Yes of course I forgot that F5 will be activated for all the players.
In fact it is possible that the ping command itself will enable the F5.
I will think about it.
Thanks given by:
Can anyone Help?

I want play with a Friend (2 Player) and want play Together but Problem is, i cannot connect to him and he cannot connect to me.

We're using the Multiserver + DLL and Hamachi...

Any Help would be nice D:

~TLW
Thanks given by:
(05-13-2016, 01:16 PM)The Lone Wolf Wrote:  Can anyone Help?

I want play with a Friend (2 Player) and want play Together but Problem is, i cannot connect to him and he cannot connect to me.

~TLW
Have you tried playing with your friend without the Multiserver? (A normal network game)
If it works, the problem is with the Multiserver and I will try figure out what is wrong.
If normal network game doesn't work too, the problem is with your connection.
Perhaps Hamachi doesn't work well for you. You can try instead using port forwarding.
Thanks given by:
(05-13-2016, 09:31 PM)ayalx Wrote:  
(05-13-2016, 01:16 PM)The Lone Wolf Wrote:  Can anyone Help?

~TLW
Have you tried playing with your friend without the Multiserver? (A normal network game)
If it works, the problem is with the Multiserver and I will try figure out what is wrong.
If normal network game doesn't work too, the problem is with your connection.
Perhaps Hamachi doesn't work well for you. You can try instead using port forwarding.

We tryed with Hamachi only and it didn't work. After that we Tryed Multiserver only, and wont work too. After that i got a Message in the IRC from Stm with the LF2-Lobby and that Works fine. :/

At least i dont have any Problems with Connect, but my Friend have. I think about, the Reason would be his Firewall...

(And sry for mah English :3)
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2016, 06:10 AM)The Lone Wolf Wrote:  We tryed with Hamachi only and it didn't work. After that we Tryed Multiserver only, and wont work too. After that i got a Message in the IRC from Stm with the LF2-Lobby and that Works fine. :/

At least i dont have any Problems with Connect, but my Friend have. I think about, the Reason would be his Firewall...

(And sry for mah English :3)

That's the old issue about port forwarding. I would like to write a decent article about this someday...

Anyway, in a game between only 2 computers, you don't need any kind of server.

One person clicks "Waiting for opponent" (this person will be the server), and the other person clicks "Connect to opponent" (this person will be the client) and types the IP from the server computer.

However, when you click "Waiting for opponent" a message will pop up asking if you want to allow LF2 to connect to the network. You should click "Yes", otherwise it won't work (because of the firewall). If you clicked "No" by mistake, the pop up window will not appear again, in this case you must go to the Firewall settings in your computer and search for the LF2 app in the list, then tick the checkbox to allow the app.

But this is not the only problem. The person who connects "Waiting for opponent" is usually behind a router, and the person who clicks "Connect to opponent" is usually not behind the same router (i.e. both computers are not in the same place/house). This means that the person who clicks "Waiting for opponent" must port forward their router to TCP port 12345 (the one LF2 uses) and provide their public IP to the person who wishes to connect to them.

To circumvent this, both players must use a VPN server (e.g. hamachi), and the player who clicks "Connect to opponent" must use the hamachi IP of the other person to connect.

LF2 MultiServer is useful for when you want more than 2 computers connected. In this case only 1 person needs to open the server (and proceed the same way as who clicks "Waiting for opponent" in the 1vs1 scenario), while the others connect to him (including himself connecting to 127.0.0.1). Also everyone must have ddraw.dll in their LF2 folder and set controls to Player 1.
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.
Stop existing. Start living.
Thanks given by: A-Man , AmadisLFE
Tested the Multiserver 2 a few times now and here are other issues with it:

Issue 1:

I am running it under Linux and WINE. It seems that the Multiserver 2 picks up the last interface address, no matter which one it is. In my case it was the one of the docker interface, since I installed docker at some point. I removed docker and was able to get other people from LAN to connect to me and the game started.
Multiserver 1 did work even with docker installed, it seems to pick the correct interface instead. Don't know what was done differently there.

Issue 2 (the serious one):

The readme says all players should set their control settings for the first player. Done that. However, in game others can control things, I cannot control anything.
Basically the Multiserver 2 is unusable, at least under my current setup using WINE. Not sure how it behaves on Windows, might try that next.

Notes:

It might be important, that I had to enter my local IP address (192.168.x.x) to connect to myself, instead of localhost or 127.0.0.1.
[Image: 9nclhxgc.png]
Thanks given by:
Hello @Zelphir,

Issue 1:

I am working on translating the MultiServer 2.0 from C# to C++. It is in a usable state now and you can compile it on Linux (it is cross-platform).

https://bitbucket.org/MangaD/lf2-multi-server-2.0

Issue 2:

The problem here is that MultiServer 2.0 uses ddraw.dll for the controls. But under Wine, the ddraw.dll on the LF2 directory won't load first because in the Wine configuration it is not set to override. Further instructions here. If you are using PlayOnLinux, you can access winecfg by clicking on the "Configure" button, selecting the LF2 prefix on the left, go to "Wine" tab and click "Configure Wine".
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.
Stop existing. Start living.
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2016, 08:33 AM)MangaD Wrote:  Hello @Zelphir,

Issue 1:

I am working on translating the MultiServer 2.0 from C# to C++. It is in a usable state now and you can compile it on Linux (it is cross-platform).

https://bitbucket.org/MangaD/lf2-multi-server-2.0

Issue 2:

The problem here is that MultiServer 2.0 uses ddraw.dll for the controls. But under Wine, the ddraw.dll on the LF2 directory won't load first because in the Wine configuration it is not set to override. Further instructions here. If you are using PlayOnLinux, you can access winecfg by clicking on the "Configure" button, selecting the LF2 prefix on the left, go to "Wine" tab and click "Configure Wine".

Ah ok thanks, I thought somehow that the lf2.exe would decide by itself where to look for the dll and that one does not need to change it.
This fixed the issue.

Edit: btw. I didn't even need to use mono for the multiserver, I simply executed it using wine as well.
[Image: 9nclhxgc.png]
Thanks given by: