Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yusei's sprites
ey, mashed this together for you, should be pretty self-explanatory

[Image: qefW2yq.png]
generally your sprites tend to be too short in size which makes them look too much like kids.
It's mostly due to the legs you do over and over again, this /\-Shape is too extreme and the legs are too short almost always.

[Image: 7fEtOJe.gif] really like this design, more contrast would make it easier too read.
also here the robe covers the bad leg shape hehe
been a while since i made a full sprite, but here:
[Image: PllBiZA.gif]
make sure to check my sprites!
I guarantee your eyes won't hurt! At least, they won't hurt too much :p !
Thanks given by:
Going into the right direction! On a first glance, the head seems a bit too large but this can also be due to the collar of the shirt. This is primarily a design-issue; any other shape of the collar might have worked a bit more favorably. Otherwise, if you prefer that design, you will have to rely on a third (darker) shade of skin-tone to separate the chest from the chin.

I'm personally not that much a fan of super-saturated colors, so (in reference to your sig) my eyes do hurt a bit. 100% saturation should be used sparsely, i.e. should be reserved for highlights only. A slightly toned down version gives a more realistic look, too. Therefore, I'd go the route of desaturating shirt, pants, and shoes a bit.

Hair is fine in terms of saturation, I'd increase the contrast a bit to separate highlights from shadows. Eyebrows typically have a similar color to the hair and could be a bit thicker, too. Also, the forehead is under the hair, therefore, with the top right lighting as usually employed in sprites, it should be in the shadow as well. In general, the facial features are hard to distinguish without zooming, try to put a bit more emphasis on those that the viewer can immediately read the expression.

Shading on the knees seems a bit odd. I don't know what's going on around there. Always keep in mind where the light is coming from and then think about which areas shouldn't be lit. Takes a bit of practice but helps significantly in producing readable sprites.

Again, going into the right direction, the rest is just fine-tuning ;)
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: the mad maskman
that was actually just an experiment to see if i didn't forget how to shade, so i will not really work on that sprite. however, i will try to apply it for the next one, and thank you for going overit in details.
(also i said your eyes might hurt a bit :p )
now then, another sprite. i'm quite positive this is at least better than the others proportion-whise and shading-wise (i also tried to put some emphasis on the face expressions as silverthorn said)
[Image: zak73c8.gif]
Thanks given by:
Very big improvement seeing the earlier ones, nice! Proportions are now on spot and color palette is pretty solid.
Next I would like to see you adding some details (the sprite now is pretty basic), make the character unique (like your avatar and that earlier grey-wearing-bald-dude)! If you want a challenge, you can also try other poses than standing : )

Quick improvement, you can surely make really good sprites soon!
Might be back, might be not :^) anyways awesome to see you guys again!
(11-26-2017, 06:59 PM)Whaat Wrote:  Next I would like to see you adding some details (the sprite now is pretty basic), make the character unique (like your avatar and that earlier grey-wearing-bald-dude)! If you want a challenge, you can also try other poses than standing : )
Uniqueness and Details are things i want to focus on after i get the hang out of shading and proportions. i did try to detail some sprites, but it generally dosen't end up well due to the details making the shading harder.
as for poses, i think that i will try on my next attempt.
(btw, my avatar wasn't made by me, it was one of my sprites revamped by Arcane :P )
(also, broly's expression on your avatar is hilarious xD)
Thanks given by:
Just guidelines what to do next : ) take the next step (adding more details and new poses) when you feel comfy and got the hang of what you are doing now (overall shading and proportions).

I also noticed that your avatar is made by someone else, but i guess you like it so you can keep it as example for yourself!

E. Damn i love Broly, should try making a new sprite outta him!
Might be back, might be not :^) anyways awesome to see you guys again!
tried :p
[Image: McjgpHM.gif]
not my design, btw. here's were i got it from: https://www.behance.net/gallery/29386097...collection
Thanks given by:
Probably your best sprite in terms of the shape.
Character's shape is pretty neat, I can only complaing about not totally symmetrical torso and the fact that head, hands and feet are kinda too small for lf2-style, but they do keep the balance.

Shading lacks some depth and is kinda dull.

BTW: Somebody was spriting Bastien from the link you posted.
could it be that you're talking about me :p? i did sprite Bastien before [Image: BYqdx7S.gif]
Thanks given by: