Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arya - Roguelite Platformer basis
(09-29-2016, 03:23 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  Level 4 - quite a difficulty spike. For a while I thought the dark grey boxes were just background rather than solid boxes I could land on.
Yah i will have to work with graphics. For now I just used some crappy blending picture. And I know levels are not balanced, but, well I've made only few for now. As I will be developing more they will actually be more balanced and difficulty will grow with each level.

(09-29-2016, 03:23 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  Level 6 - that textbox itself is a trap. It exaggerates how fast you need to be to get over the disappearing box, it blocks your vision when trying to jump over the saws while avoiding the topmost giant saw, and also obscures vision of the 1st invisible block. After that its a leap of faith to find out where the 2nd invisible block is, which really should have been visible. There's also a little sweet spot at the bottom where the saws are, but its also a trap as far as I can tell.
Yah. I'm already reworking the hint mechanics.
About the leap of faith - I just want player to be sometimes play the level couple of times more to get known with the design of the level.
You mean this sweetspot?
http://imgur.com/15qr9pH

(09-29-2016, 03:23 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  Level 7 - I can't solve it. I couldn't find any hidden blocks/items nor the exit location, I can't jump high enough to reach the top of the right side, the only apparent way out is a death pit, and I even outran the 1st set of locks to find out if there was a lock I had to quickly get to. No success.
Most likely you've downloaded the version that I've uploaded before that has no actual exit point :D.

(09-29-2016, 03:23 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  Level 8 - a little bit annoying that I have to keep hugging the left wall while waiting for the locks to disappear. More importantly, this level makes it very apparent that keys & locks should be colour-coded with a direction(especially since this is the first level to demonstrate that locks don't have to be touching each other to be unlocked), and the first blocks to disappear should be indicated clearly.
Well technically it just goes chainlike. Although some blocks are hidden below the map. And this one is probably hardest atm.

(09-29-2016, 03:23 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  Level 9 - nothing new, just little things when I re-attempted: I once got trapped between the bottom 2 saws after a bad jump during the last 2 hearts. Small nyancat doesn't telegraph its charge, so I usually just play it safe and try to be on the opposite side of the small cat. Big cat will follow you while its flying, and then after a while it will drop and immediately shoot, so its usually a good idea to deliberately get it to land slightly off the center where the keys would be.
Yah that boss battle needs some adjustment and final touch.

(09-29-2016, 03:23 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  Pressing Esc while the screen is black will cause the screen to remain black but if you clicked around you can still select a level.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll check it up. I saw something like that happening but couldn't reproduce.

STM1993 edited this post 09-29-2016 06:33 PM because:
Level 6 - Nah, just this little spot: http://i.imgur.com/JfZ6387.png
I think I pulled off that gif jump once though.
Thanks given by:
Is there any way to get an OSX build? I'd love to test it :p
Thanks given by:
Sure. I will try to post it up tmrw :).

----

turns out it needs some more attention, ill do it if ill have a little more time ;d

Simoneon edited this post 09-30-2016 08:14 AM because:
Cheers, I'll be waiting
Thanks given by:
sweet!
the controls feel very nice. but i often find myself not being able to walljump from the disappearing blocks (in run boy run). i think its when im falling too fast.
also some sound effects (and music) do make a huge difference in game quality feeling. it doesnt have to be something extravagant. something simple suffices and can be replaced later. for retro sounds i recommend bfxr (former sfxr), for music just google something (you might want to look for royalty free music just in case).
i hope youll be keeping at it, i want to get some more into game making again so it would be cool to have a game jam bud :)
Thanks given by:
Yah I'm having a down time currently.
The core game mechanics have to be rebuilt. I'm not talking about physics, but about the 'fun' part. I need to find something unique and really enjoyable.

And ofc level design is a really simple sample for now. I've also thought about implementing sounds and music, but for now I need to re-think everything over and come back with something better.
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2016, 12:28 PM)Gad Wrote:  Yah I'm having a down time currently.

And so it was!
I've updated the first post.

The game has been totally rebuild for a roguelite platformer.
Not much to generate so far, but I'll be developing this concept I belive!
If anybody could test up will appreciate.
Thanks given by: A-Man
wich Language do u use ? C++ or C# ? i can help if u made it with C#
i like the game btw nice..
im making a game using Unity XD.. anyway. good job bro
Thanks given by: