Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western society and happiness (serious stuff)
Interesting thread. I didn't read everybody's response yet, but here is what I think (hopefully, it doesn't repeat what somebody else has said).

I don't come from the west but from a bit to the right of that. But I have been studying in the west for a couple of years now. It was particularly intriguing to me at the beginning when I would see things like a grandma nagging at her grandchild. Although I could not fully understand what was being said, the facial expressions and the general set up of the scene is undeniably similar to what I would see back home. It's a a bit funny too because you don't expect to see this before you actually visit. Although the atmosphere is often quite different, there's more in common to how children are raised than one thinks there is.

It is indeed true that parents/society push their children towards a certain direction of what they perceive is happiness. I would say that's perfectly natural. They generally have more experience, and they might think they have - after years of trial and error - attained the knowledge to a fool-proof method (or at least, one that gets close to that) of success and happiness. Of course, they would want to save their children the effort by pointing them straight to what they should do.

What I have come to realise though is that happiness is very different for everyone. Some people are happy being rich, even if that means they're hated. Some people are happy being popular, even if that means they're poor. Some people are happy being free, even if that means they're lonely. The levels to which each of the good qualities would be enough differs from one person to person too.

Examples can be seen in this thread. mfc sees spending time to
Quote:solve artificial puzzles (video games) when they could be tackling actual scientific problems
to be bad. But there are people who do it for a living. They entertain people by posting their videos playing on a video sharing platform, and they make money from it. They also get pretty popular and are very happy.

Regarding creativity, as bad as it can get with parents forcing their ways on their children, I would still feel the same way if someone was to try to force "creativity" on me. The word itself is meaningless because many people have different ideas of what is creative. I don't think it has much to do with identity, but rather on the contrary: I would say it has to do with how people perceive you. Trying to be creative means to try to make people perceive you as such, which contradicts "being yourself".
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: LutiChris , the mad maskman
(04-16-2018, 12:39 PM)Memento Wrote:  It goes wrong when parents correct the wrong things

This isn't correction, that is guidance or dictatorship when enforced.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/correct?s=t
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.
Stop existing. Start living.
Thanks given by:
https://youtu.be/o9Yi_3jM28I

I'm worried. Are we being misled? And can we even speak our mind freely online still, without repercussions? I'm afraid not. I believe posting about this issue in the first place, may very well be used against me.

This global power shift towards stakeholder capitalism, will definately affect some very important aspects of our health and societies... including physical and mental health.
Original character edits
Goku2021
LF2 Timelapse (open source mod)

Thanks given by:
(11-17-2021, 11:59 AM)Memento Wrote:  https://youtu.be/o9Yi_3jM28I

I'm worried. Are we being misled? And can we even speak our mind freely online still, without repercussions? I'm afraid not. I believe posting about this issue in the first place, may very well be used against me.

This global power shift towards stakeholder capitalism, will definately affect some very important aspects of our health and societies... including physical and mental health.

Interesting video. Indeed the world is in constant change as it always was, it can even be argued that it is changing at a faster rate as technology progresses further. There will always be someone out there ready to mistreat and mislead you, it's just how it is, but there will always be people out there ready and willing to help you and be supportive of your actions and goals, it is just a matter of who you happen to meet and when, a lot of it up to circumstance, but with enough determination, perseverance and life experience I believe anyone can get to meet the right people for themselves, or at the very least get very close.

Only in the past two years already a lot has changed/shifted, very easy to be worried by it, but I like to look on the bright side of things and focus on the positive that can come out of this change and put my efforts towards improving quality of life for myself and everyone else around me as much as I can. The internet still allows us to freely speak our mind quite anonymously, you just gotta know what tools to use. I really wish that internet privacy would be taken more seriously by the average consumers, people saying they don't care about it, is like saying you have no opinion when it comes to free speech.
[Image: oldlinepub.gif]
Thanks given by: Bupkis