Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Push Notifications
I completely forgot to suggest this. This is a plugin that I wanted to implement at HFE but I couldn't because it requires HTTPS. It is very useful to receive a notification in your browser when a post is made.

https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=538
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.
Stop existing. Start living.
Thanks given by:
yes please! PM this to Silverthorn
Thanks given by:
Here we go, another "feature" that I deem unnecessary. Let me explain why...

As I see it, it's in a similar vibe to Whatsapp or whatever which instantly informs you when something gets posted. While this is all good and stuff, there is a distinct difference between a forum and a chat, and that is the conversation speed. While chats happen almost impulsively, forums give you the chance to think about your reply first, do proper research if necessary, and write things down in a condensed matter. I don't actually know how things happen over at failbook but I strongly advocate against this "real time notification" thingummy simply because it enforces the "quantity over quality"-mantra. Overview is the compromise I've been willing to take but anything beyond that is overkill (see what I did there?) for LFE at its current stage.

The fact that it's taking forever to install does not really play a role in general but I don't wish to waste my time on something which may be marginally useful for 2 people.

Long story short: cost-benefit ratio, once again, does not work in our favor.

(11-10-2018, 07:40 AM)Uri Wrote:  PM this to Silverthorn
Fun fact: I see posts faster than PMs Wobble
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2018, 10:59 AM)Silverthorn Wrote:  Here we go, another "feature" that I deem unnecessary. Let me explain why...

As I see it, it's in a similar vibe to Whatsapp or whatever which instantly informs you when something gets posted. While this is all good and stuff, there is a distinct difference between a forum and a chat, and that is the conversation speed. While chats happen almost impulsively, forums give you the chance to think about your reply first, do proper research if necessary, and write things down in a condensed matter. I don't actually know how things happen over at failbook but I strongly advocate against this "real time notification" thingummy simply because it enforces the "quantity over quality"-mantra. Overview is the compromise I've been willing to take but anything beyond that is overkill (see what I did there?) for LFE at its current stage.

The fact that it's taking forever to install does not really play a role in general but I don't wish to waste my time on something which may be marginally useful for 2 people.

Long story short: cost-benefit ratio, once again, does not work in our favor.

(11-10-2018, 07:40 AM)Uri Wrote:  PM this to Silverthorn
Fun fact: I see posts faster than PMs Wobble

Very fair enough, will mention that the time you used rationalizing why you had better not do it appears to me pretty similar to the time it would have taken to do it.

Tricky, that's rathar unusual. well I guess that happens when the forum is sadly rather unactive anyway.
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2018, 10:59 AM)Silverthorn Wrote:  I strongly advocate against this "real time notification" thingummy simply because it enforces the "quantity over quality"-mantra.

Ok, I will have to reject this argument for 2 reasons.

1. The forum already allows you to get instantly notified by e-mail if someone replies or adds a thread in a thread / forum that we subscribe to. So, adding the push notifications feature (which I believe is optional for the user) is merely going to make subscriptions more convenient for those willing to use it.

2. Right now, considering the low activity, I don't think that low-quality posts are that undesirable. Better low-quality posts than no-posts, believe me.

(11-10-2018, 10:59 AM)Silverthorn Wrote:  The fact that it's taking forever to install does not really play a role in general but I don't wish to waste my time on something which may be marginally useful for 2 people.

This is a more understandable argument. If you feel that it is too much work to install then leave it. I must disagree with "useful for 2 people", I think many people would like to have this feature.

(11-10-2018, 07:40 AM)Uri Wrote:  Very fair enough, will mention that the time you used rationalizing why you had better not do it appears to me pretty similar to the time it would have taken to do it.

Whether a feature is necessary or not is an important matter as well. The less plugins the forum needs the better. Why? Because the more plugins the more security vulnerabilities the website is prone to. Besides being unnecessary clutter. So, if there is a plugin out there that turns the forum into pink color, I'd rather waste 30 minutes to explain why I don't want such a plugin than take 1 second installing it.
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.
Stop existing. Start living.
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2018, 02:23 PM)MangaD Wrote:  
(11-10-2018, 07:40 AM)Uri Wrote:  Very fair enough, will mention that the time you used rationalizing why you had better not do it appears to me pretty similar to the time it would have taken to do it.

Whether a feature is necessary or not is an important matter as well. The less plugins the forum needs the better. Why? Because the more plugins the more security vulnerabilities the website is prone to. Besides being unnecessary clutter. So, if there is a plugin out there that turns the forum into pink color, I'd rather waste 30 minutes to explain why I don't want such a plugin than take 1 second installing it.
in the case you are presenting yes, but not this case. Anyway silver good answer with that notifications Discord Channel.
Thanks given by: