Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character: Banter - baseball bandit
Got some time after all and it's way too hot to go outside anyway : (

[Image: gF7JK7L.gif][Image: H7mYBHo.png]

Here is Banter, bandit the batter, quite horrible name.
I just recently learned about baseball/bat custom hit sound, found it some thread around here and kinda wanted to use it for something. It also looks like like it's not only id 100 and 121 specified thing, as here I'm using different id for baseballs. Maybe it's about id 100 and type 4 items, didn't test it though.

Either way, Banter will spawn with baseball bat in his hands, he's using the other hand compared to regular bantid to hold it, adn get new one whenever he's getting knocked out. With his free hand he can throw baseballs while jumping or runnning, so (>>)+A J+(>)+A

[Image: YVWMLOO.gif]

You can also get quite a few baseballs at once by pressing DJA

[Image: yL5VAEP.gif]

Here I got inspired by Lauli's old project - Baseball Crowd

Those baseballs can't be picked up by anyone, Banter including and will disappear after few seconds. But they jump around Banter while his standing, or pressing attack, so he can send them flying with his bat. There is also random chance to hit ball so hard, it's gonna catch on fire and fly at high speed dealing lots of damage. Won't burn opponents though, let's be realistic.

[Image: 6Y8qAAC.gif]

No download link for now, instead I'm open for suggestions about more moves or other changes.
Thanks given by: Nyamaiku , STM1993 , Bamboori , Cabba , Lauli
Just throwing more inspiration here:
Recreation of an old "Baseball Davis"
And below, is a mini-LF2 mod for playing baseball by a chinese modder.

Regarding the baseball bat system, the batting ability is specific to id 100, under the following conditions:
  1. the bat is held in wpoint, and then swung with itr kind 5
  2. the object being hit only needs to be a type 4(baseball) or 6(drink), no specific id required.
There is a way to solve the problem of infinitely spawning real bats, and I think you already figured it out, but I'll specify my solution anyway: make sure you use a wpoint with a very high x-coordinate(more than 3200 which is the width of Lion Forest, the longest map) during the picked_caught and falling frames. This way, whenever Banter is forced to drop his weapon, he will do so by simply dropping them offscreen and thus deleting the weapon.

While you are at it, I would suggest fixing the bug where rolling into a wall with a bat tends to cause the bat to magically disappear. This happens because the bat is held in a position at or below y: 0 when the weapon itself went past the map boundary. Either raise the wpoint y-coordinate, or change cover: 1 to cover: 0 (same as Template). This works because Marti made cover: 1 work by shifting the z-axis of the weapon up by 2px, and then dropped the y-axis of the weapon by 2px to compensate, and this coincidentally caused the bat to be below the ground during rolling.

It'd be nice if Banter is still able to pick up milks to drink in Stage though, so having the option to not hold the bat temporarily would be great.

No idea how the chance to flaming baseball works, but my guess is that it is a custom type 1 baseball rather than a type 4(hence the weird gravity too), and then you use the fact that hitting a weapon sends it to a random frame 0-15 to make it happen.

From the looks of it, Banter will actually despawn the bat in order to opoint kind 2 the baseball before throwing. That's not actually necessary. Just directly spawn the baseball the same way Henry/Rudolf/Hunter do, and make sure the frame it goes to has state 1002 such as frame 40.

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to make the baseball able to fly along z-axis after being struck.

Gravity Notes
Normal = 17/10 = 1.7
type6(drink) = 17/15 = 1.1333
hoe(id101) st1002 = 17/15 = 1.333
type4(ball) = 17/20 = 0.85
st1002(in general) = 17/30=0.5667
knife(id120) st1002 = 17/40 = 0.425
boomerang(id124) st1002 = 17/100 = 0.17
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by: Bamboori , The_Hari
how about making him do a special action when using the bat? if it is possible
something similar to this
[Image: BWaV1Xq.png]
Thanks given by: The_Hari
(06-16-2019, 01:09 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  There is a way to solve the problem of infinitely spawning real bats, and I think you already figured it out, but I'll specify my solution anyway: make sure you use a wpoint with a very high x-coordinate(more than 3200 which is the width of Lion Forest, the longest map) during the picked_caught and falling frames. This way, whenever Banter is forced to drop his weapon, he will do so by simply dropping them offscreen and thus deleting the weapon.

I did not and this is simple and brilliant, thanks!

(06-16-2019, 01:09 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  While you are at it, I would suggest fixing the bug where rolling into a wall with a bat tends to cause the bat to magically disappear. This happens because the bat is held in a position at or below y: 0 when the weapon itself went past the map boundary. Either raise the wpoint y-coordinate, or change cover: 1 to cover: 0 (same as Template). This works because Marti made cover: 1 work by shifting the z-axis of the weapon up by 2px, and then dropped the y-axis of the weapon by 2px to compensate, and this coincidentally caused the bat to be below the ground during rolling.

Cool thing to know, already done it, as I set cover 0 to make it looks more, like he holds bad in different hand.

(06-16-2019, 01:09 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  It'd be nice if Banter is still able to pick up milks to drink in Stage though, so having the option to not hold the bat temporarily would be great.

Probably not gonna happen. But while we're at it, some healing - baseball theme new move could be added.
I can still make him pick up heavy weapons. Oh man, heavy milk bottle would be nice addition, hah.

(06-16-2019, 01:09 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  No idea how the chance to flaming baseball works, but my guess is that it is a custom type 1 baseball rather than a type 4(hence the weird gravity too), and then you use the fact that hitting a weapon sends it to a random frame 0-15 to make it happen.

Wouldnt' that make them randomly go to flaming frames while bouncing?
But true, frames 0 - 15 were used. Every 5th frame opoint an invisible state 18 type 3 for a short while, to avoid smoke. Banter has special itr in his weapon_attack frames and if he hits the type 3, it goes to rebounding frames, spawning flaming ball. Actually improved it already and added bdefend 100 itr to all of its frames, to destroy the original normal ball.

Code:
<frame> 5 in_the_sky
   pic: 5  state: 1000  wait: 0  next: 6  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  centerx: 24  centery: 35  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   opoint:
      kind: 1  x: 24  y: 25  action: 5  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  oid: 1209  facing: 1
   opoint_end:
   bdy:
      kind: 0  x: 16  y: 16  w: 19  h: 19
   bdy_end:
   bdy:
      kind: 0  x: 16  y: 49016  w: 19  h: 19
   bdy_end:
<frame_end>

Code:
<frame> 5 SMACK
   pic: 999  state: 18  wait: 1  next: 1000  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  centerx: 24  centery: 33  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   bdy:
      kind: 0  x: 16  y: 51016  w: 19  h: 19
   bdy_end:
<frame_end>

<frame> 30 rebounding
   pic: 999  state: 3005  wait: 0  next: 31  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  centerx: 24  centery: 33  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
<frame_end>

<frame> 31 rebounding
   pic: 999  state: 3005  wait: 0  next: 1000  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  centerx: 24  centery: 33  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   opoint:
      kind: 1  x: 24  y: 33  action: 40  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  oid: 1209  facing: 1
   opoint_end:
<frame_end>

<frame> 39 throwing
   pic: 0  state: 3006  wait: 0  next: 41  dvx: 24  dvy: 0  centerx: 24  centery: 37  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
  sound: data\067.wav
   opoint:
      kind: 1  x: 12  y: 38  action: 60  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  oid: 1209  facing: 0
   opoint_end:
   itr:
      kind: 0  x: 16  y: 16  w: 19  h: 19  fall: 70  bdefend: 100  injury: 80  vrest: 15
   itr_end:
   itr:
      kind: 0  x: 0  y: 49000  w: 50  h: 50  fall: 70  bdefend: 100  injury: 100000    
   itr_end:
<frame_end>

(06-16-2019, 01:09 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  From the looks of it, Banter will actually despawn the bat in order to opoint kind 2 the baseball before throwing. That's not actually necessary. Just directly spawn the baseball the same way Henry/Rudolf/Hunter do, and make sure the frame it goes to has state 1002 such as frame 40.

That's how it's done. He doesnt't ever spawn baseballs in hand, the bat on the gif just hides behind him.

(06-16-2019, 01:09 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  Unfortunately I can't think of a way to make the baseball able to fly along z-axis after being struck.

Yeah, no way.

(06-17-2019, 06:01 AM)Cabba Wrote:  how about making him do a special action when using the bat? if it is possible
something similar to this
[Image: BWaV1Xq.png]

I prefer not to make new sprites if original ones works, but this swing effect would be nice addition to what's already there.
Thanks given by: STM1993 , Cabba
(06-18-2019, 09:59 PM)The_Hari Wrote:  Oh man, heavy milk bottle would be nice addition, hah.
[Image: nAQJFg5.png]
surely someone made this before

and maybe you've already done this,
could you add the special bdy to the flaming ball frames so that another banter could hit it back flaming?
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2019, 09:56 AM)Cabba Wrote:  could you add the special bdy to the flaming ball frames so that another banter could hit it back flaming?

Sure, that's also nice idea, I just don't think it's gonna happen in game.

[Image: 12KWaNT.gif]

Needs tweaking, but works. Can be also performed as jump attack + dash attack combo.
Thanks given by: STM1993 , Cabba , Nyamaiku
when do we get to try him?
Thanks given by:
(06-30-2019, 08:41 AM)Cabba Wrote:  when do we get to try him?

Good question. But he's still alive and there is a little update.
I didn't play much games, but just yesterday remembered quite a cool one - OFF by Mortis Ghost, so here is alternative skin for Banter, based on protagonist of said game.

[Image: oDGvzbx.gif]

Added fake baseball bat to falling and caught frames

[Image: DX5GMVl.gif]

The reason why I didn't finish him yet, is some weird behaviour while deleting weapon for fire ball. I'll try to polish the data and upload him for some help on how to fix it.
Thanks given by: Cabba
Try him!

I think I fixed him as much as I could, there is still some werid baseball behaviour while dash/jump hitting it, but for some reason it happens a lot less than before.
Increased contrast for second skin, [Image: 2y2RvIH.png] guess he looks much batter, ha.
Thanks given by: Cabba