Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Character: Kaktena
Introduction
It all startet that i realized that i havent finished a single char,
for the game that awake my passion for drawing again.
Because most of the time i was thinking of making a whole mod,
so this time i will just focus at one char, that i have at least finished one since the 8 years i started spriting.

Description
So about the char itself its basic idea is based on a cactus,
i have just one move in mind at the moment so i am not 100% set on the moves yet
so if u have some suggestions feel free to post them maybe i will u some of your ideas.
I was also thinking of making some kind of posionos moves.

Progress
The name of the Char is Kaktena
[Image: kWZD7BR.png]

old Ideas (Click to View)

Special Attacks
Needle Spray D^J (Click to View)
Bol Cactus D>A (Click to View)
Smol Cactus DvJ (Click to View)
Tol Cactus D>J (Click to View)
Claw Cactus DJA (Click to View)

Sample Combos

Download
Download Link v1.1

Credits
-JoHo15 for sprites and face picture.
-Nyamaiku for data and AI.
-STM93, Leviaiz, Fonix and Thomas(aka Luminance)
for playtesting and feedback.
-STM93 for in depth balancing discussions.
[Image: ZHkICNr.png][Image: adGT3Xm.png]
I just had the feeling you were up to something, awesome!

I think if you want to give her more personality, change the walking. Right now it's stiff, we want somewhat more salsa action in those hips! In my opinion this could help a lot for her appearance. I feel like her legs should to be somewhat longer, like 1 or 2 pixels in total only.

But most of all good progress so far! :D

Edit: I realize I just assumed it was a female character.. But I may be wrong ^^"
Original character edits
Goku2021
LF2 Timelapse (open source mod)

Thanks given by: JCostal
(08-11-2020, 07:28 PM)Memento Wrote:  I think if you want to give her more personality, change the walking. Right now it's stiff, we want somewhat more salsa action in those hips!
you mean more like this:
[Image: Y6nftem.gif]

(08-11-2020, 07:28 PM)Memento Wrote:  Edit: I realize I just assumed it was a female character.. But I may be wrong ^^"
and yeah she is female :O
Thanks given by: Memento , JCostal
Yes, more like that! Just needs some adjusting to make it look more natural, but maybe you don't want to get that much into detail now :)
Original character edits
Goku2021
LF2 Timelapse (open source mod)

(08-11-2020, 06:31 PM)JoHo15 Wrote:  i have just one move in mind at the moment so i am not 100% set on the moves yet
do share that 1 move idea tho

(08-11-2020, 06:31 PM)JoHo15 Wrote:  I was also thinking of making some kind of posionos moves.
no good bugless way to dc poison so i would advise to avoid that

as for move ideas, why not go for something classic as a D^J
togemon needle spray (Click to View)
by using 3 seperate sets of spikes like this
[Image: afWwQVp.png]
i did a simple sketch preview of how it can look like
[Image: NiT38Hs.gif]

and maybe something interesting, if u go for a 3 frame punch with wait values of 2-1-1, then change her weap holding method to reverse grip, then with some clever wpoint and stuffs u can give her a cactus punching glove that allows her to change her attacks to faster variant similar to jan weap attack. heres a quick sketch of what i mean
[Image: TC2pVQP.png]
and throwing the cactus can be treated as her 2ndary projectile move of sorts
back from the dead.....kinda
Thanks given by: Memento , JCostal
(08-12-2020, 06:48 PM)Nyamaiku Wrote:  
(08-11-2020, 06:31 PM)JoHo15 Wrote:  i have just one move in mind at the moment so i am not 100% set on the moves yet
do share that 1 move idea tho
[Image: TFF7HM5.gif]
so the idea is that she will spawn some of the spikey balls on here head, i actually wanted to make them posionos
or the maybe do just some dmg when the enemy walks over them, not sure yet
And probably not so much at once like in the animation.

(08-12-2020, 06:48 PM)Nyamaiku Wrote:  as for move ideas, why not go for something classic as a D^J
togemon needle spray (Click to View)
by using 3 seperate sets of spikes like this
[Image: afWwQVp.png]
i did a simple sketch preview of how it can look like
[Image: NiT38Hs.gif]

yeah i was thinking about togemon too, but i dont want to have too much aoe moves

(08-12-2020, 06:48 PM)Nyamaiku Wrote:  and maybe something interesting, if u go for a 3 frame punch with wait values of 2-1-1, then change her weap holding method to reverse grip, then with some clever wpoint and stuffs u can give her a cactus punching glove that allows her to change her attacks to faster variant similar to jan weap attack. heres a quick sketch of what i mean
[Image: TC2pVQP.png]
and throwing the cactus can be treated as her 2ndary projectile move of sorts
i kinda like the idea, but to get that to work i need to change the weapon attacks sprites ?

some progress on the run attack but i think it still needs some fixes
[Image: nBOHfbi.gif]
and she will slide during that animation
(08-12-2020, 09:03 PM)JoHo15 Wrote:  [Image: TFF7HM5.gif]
Why the head...thats so...idk...not graceful

And on 2nd thought about the cactus glove thing, would make more sense if reg punch is the faster startup variant similar to davis/woody and then make her weap swing similar to reg chars aka 2 frame startup. And yeah the reason i suggest a change to reverse grip weapon animation is coz it can also doube as a hook punch/uppercut to fit with cactus glove

Do hop on discord btw, easier to discuss ideas and stuff in a more casual way rather than having to make a full forum post for every minor idea/change of idea
back from the dead.....kinda
(08-13-2020, 02:53 AM)Nyamaiku Wrote:  

And on 2nd thought about the cactus glove thing, would make more sense if reg punch is the faster startup variant similar to davis/woody and then make her weap swing similar to reg chars aka 2 frame startup. And yeah the reason i suggest a change to reverse grip weapon animation is coz it can also doube as a hook punch/uppercut to fit with cactus glove

Do hop on discord btw, easier to discuss ideas and stuff in a more casual way rather than having to make a full forum post for every minor idea/change of idea
i am not 100% set on the animation yet,
and yeah i joined the discord but u know aleady :P

did the basic punches today and updated sheet_1 with drinking sprites
[Image: wIDSyFN.gif]
Edit:
Changed the leg movement
[Image: Tdkgwrc.gif]
[Image: tx1Psa4.png]
i did some brainstroming today and come up with a few new special move ideas and how i would visualize some old ideas

1. The first are two different styles of a self heal where she connects with the ground for healing
2. The second one came in my mind as more like a joke and even is but she will be invulnerable in that stance and enemys get hurt if the came near.
3. The third one is more like a counter where she grows instant long needles on her body.
The last two are old ideas of the needle spray and how she would get her weapon.
Thanks given by: The_Hari , JCostal
Haha, I love the cactus stance, I would actualy add it and to make it more useful, allow her to walk automatically, so it would be like Firen's D>J, just slower. Only thing I'm not really a fan of is self heal, especially such a "dramatic" one, compared to John who simply flicks a wand to do the same thing.

(08-13-2020, 02:53 AM)Nyamaiku Wrote:  

I'd say being ungraceful is a good thing here. She seems more like such a rough and goofy charcter to me. Also instead of making buggy posion effect, those spiky things could use itr kind 8 and stick to and jump from one character to another.
Thanks given by: JoHo15 , JCostal