Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The man from the lighthouse
Hello everybody.I am now back after some weeks of abstinence( holidays) and with a new story.
Story contest entry went crappy( I don't think I will get many votes. Probably phil will win. Or anubis, I haven't read his story yet. But I will.)
Anyway, I guess its a good time to start a new story so here it is.
It looks like a sad story again, but as it develops, it will be much happier. I'm not doing such a depressing story this time although it could therefore loose a bit of the depth.
I don't know what will happen yet( I have thought a bit about the main character, but not about the secondary characters. By the way: You can post - like in my last story - profiles with character traits and background. I can't promise you that I will use them, but the chance is quite high.( Its a fantasy-world in midage, but I think I won't use mage/ orcs etc.
As ever:
Enjoy!

Chapter 1 (Click to View)
Chapter 2 (Click to View)
Chapter 3 (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
wow.. sounds pretty interesting.. i am curious what happens next, again you have used your full potential and made
another awesome prologue (i assume it is one).
btw in which time is it playing.. you said midage.. but is it at the beginning of midage or more at the end?
i haven't found any spelling mistakes nor grammer mistakes until now so all i can say.. GO ON :D
maybe i might be good if i add these two things..
firstly.. you gotta look or read my story (have rewritten the prologue and finished chapter 1).. i seriously need some motivation, kinda stuck at chapter two :(
finally.. you have 2 more days left.. so if you want to write a new story.. you still have alot of time .. GO GO GO :p
but meh your entry is already awesome (and i think either you, zab or magnamancy will win ;) )
[sig placeholder until my new sig is finished]
should totally allow people to be all trolley on their birthday :D
Thanks given by: Reaper
Good prologue as always... You know how to impress peoples with your descriptions;)
But action didn't started yet. You only described some parts of the island and some peoples who live there. While I was reading I hopped that you will put some action in prologue, but there is no. And still I am interested in your story again.:)
I am waiting for 1. chapter
Thanks given by: Reaper
Thank you both, first chapter is done :D This time I only name them chapter 1,2,3... because it is supposed to become a bit longer than the last story this time.
@phil: The story is set in late mideage or even later. But at it plays in a fantasy world that doesn't mean its exactly lke that time. Oh, and now its too late for a new story for the contest. Well, doesn't matter.
In the first chapter you will get to know two more main characters. Their parts are pretty short because its just to tell you they are there. :D
Enjoy!
Btw: I hate writing in past tense. 1. its annoying to talk about things happened even before( perfect progressive or whatever) and 2. I think I am not allowed to use "now" or things like that( I think I did).
Why do I use that tense?

Chapter 1

Once upon a time the man in the lighthouse had been different. The villagers remembered him to be one of the most normal boys they knew, named Thomas. He had grown up in the village with the other kids, playing football with them and learning to be a fisher.
His mother had been a villager, his father a sailor from a ship once landing on the island. While the other members of his crew had sailed away, he had fallen in love and had decided to stay on the island.
The villagers weren't sure what had changed him. However it was said that the reason was the day many years ago when a giant storm came over the island. Nothing had signalized it and so many villagers were on the sea to fish, within them his mother and father.
He had been very sad then, many were. But he found a faithful friend in the lighthouse keeper, an old friendly man who helped him to overcome his misery. But when he died, the memory came back again.
Thomas took the lighthouse keeper's place and began to shut himself off more and more. Soon he visited the village only once a month or less.

That day was one of these days. Thomas sighed and put on his coat. Outside the sun shone on a forest with only a little path dividing the arrays of trees. It was still wet from the storm in the night, but the sun dried the forest fast.
Thomas hurried up. He wanted to get done with it as fast as possible.
Birds were warbling from all sides, but he wasn't paying much attention. Spring.
Soon he reached the village. One after each other, the old, little wooden houses appeared. The years they stood exposed against the winds had warped all of them.
As he went further one, more and more villagers came in sight, huddling together and talking with a happy expression on their faces. But none of them regarded him. Well, he didn't care. He didn't want to be held up.
Suddenly he went left then straight forward and left again. He had gone this way more than hundred times.
Finally he came to the house he wanted to and entered it.
The house was filled with shelfs while these were filled with hundred of different things. Apples, pears, fish, pots, meshes, trinkets and so on. Behind the counter there was and old, friendly smiling man. He had a half-bald head and selling food had left marks on his belly. He was one of the few people in the village still trying to make Thomas speak.
“What can I do for you, Thomas?”
Thomas sighed. It was just annoying him. Why didn't he understand that?
“The same as ever.”
“OK, just wait a moment.”
He disappeared in the room behind and soon came back with a bag full of food. Thomas gave him a coin and was about to leave.
“Nice whether, isn't it? Although I think there might be a storm in the afternoon.”
Thomas sighed again and left.
It was good to be on the street again. There were still other villagers, but at least they didn't want to start a conversation with him. Time to go.
He was nearly out of town when he saw the villagers crowding. That drew his interest. He came nearer and tried to look over the heads of the people in front of him.
A big ship had landed at the pier. It was about 50 meters long and the sails towered up into the sky. However he couldn't see any canons. Probably it was a merchant ship.
The captain or at least someone with authority was standing on a barrel so that everyone could see him. He was talking to the villagers in a loud voice.
“... to sell our commodities on the mainland. But in the storm yesterday, some of our men died. Unfortunately we already were as few as possible before to save costs. We were lucky to be near your island. Let's come to the point. We need some members for our crew, everyone is welcome.”
With this words he climbed down from the barrel. At the same time, a discussion between the villagers began.
“... aways wanted to see the mainland.”
“..can't be sure to stay alive...”
“...doesn't look honest...”
“..would never leave my family.”
Thomas stepped some meters back, confused by so many people talking. He had to think about what he had heard. Going away from the island, being on a ship, with only empty ocean around him. Even the thought about that made him frighten. But on the other hand this was the only way to escape from here. There won't be a chance like that again.
He thought a bit about the consequences, but his decision loomed clearer and clearer. He tried to make his way through the crowd until he stood in front of the man having spoken a few minutes ago.
“I want to join your crew.”
The man surveyed him thoughtful.
“Have you ever been on a ship?”
“Well, no.”
Again the man surveyed him, this time more distrustful.
“I guess I don't really have a choice. Just get the things you need and come back. We will put to sea tomorrow morning.
Thomas smiled and tapped on his bag.
“I am ready.”

Waves slowly floated his boat to the coast, but he didn't notice. His concentration was hogged by the net he used to catch fishes. The sun was shining relentlessly and the fishes tried to fight against the net, but he didn't give up. This would decide between having a real meal or not.
Finally he managed to raise the net with the fishes into his boat. Most of them had escaped. Well, it should be enough for a meal. He took a wooden log and killed the fishes with it. It was the only work he really didn't like, but he knew it was better for the fishes.
Now he looked around himself for the first time and saw how near the coast already was. He sighed. The sea was the only place where he could feel at least a tiny bit of freedom, but even there he couldn't enjoy it. He just had too much to do.
Suddenly his stomach gave him a shout to remind him that it was time for eating. He took his paddles and headed towards the coast.
After a few minutes he arrived at his village and secured his boat. While going to his house, he met Marc, one of his friends. Marc was 35, means that he was over 15 years older than he was. He had long brown hair and an angular face.
“Hello Pete. How are you?”
“As ever. Things aren't changing.”
“You won't become melancholy now, will you?”
“No, I won't. Something important happened?”
“Not really. Where you expecting something? Well, some of the villagers came to the major to protest against the trade route that is supposed to go along near our village.”
Pete shook his head. The fear against changes in this village was just unbelievable.
“Well, I guess I have to go now. It's time to eat. Bye.”
He continued on his way home. When he arrived, he first prepared and ate the fish, then he let himself fall into the bed, waiting for something to happen.

The woman, Selene was here name, was standing on a little cliff, watching the sun go down beyond the sea. The wind let her blond hair fly around her face. Somehow the sea magically attracted her, she didn't know why. Now the sun had nearly disappeared. She turned around and went back to her village.
Selene had come to the village some days ago selling trinkets and food from foreign countries. The villagers were wondering why she had made that long journey, but she didn't want to talk about that so they soon lost their interest. It was never good to pay too much attention to abnormal things. The best idea was to forget them.
Now the houses came into sight. She wouldn't stay here for long. She had to go on.
Her first memory was how she lied on the shore, the sea raging around her and a little group of people carrying her away. Selene never found out how that happened, but she was sure she would.
As soon as she had been recovered, she had left the village and from that day one she had tried to find out about her past. Years over years.
Sometimes Selene thought about staying somewhere, giving up her search and living without being chivvied by her unease. The thought made her feeling happy deep inside. But she knew she couldn't.
Soft-footed she sneaked around the houses, trying not to rouse anyone. It was time to go again.
Calm but determined she took all of her things and carefully shut the door behind her.
From outside the village she looked back a last time and saw the last sunbeam disappear.
Thanks given by:
awesome chapter.. really catching..
2 mistakes though..
1. it is "the villagers weren't sure" and not "the villagers wasn't sure ... plural my friend ;)
2. mistake is connected to plural too even if it isn't really a mistake.. the most common plural of fish is in fact fish (fishes counts too.. just wanted to say it ;) ).. (same with sheep i think)
other than that.. GO ON.. i am curious
[sig placeholder until my new sig is finished]
should totally allow people to be all trolley on their birthday :D
Thanks given by:
ok, here is a new chapter. I feel like something is missing in the second part but I don't know what. Maybe you know. The woman hasn't appeared because her storyline will be a bit smaller.
For those of you who've read my last story: Would be nice if you compare this story to it.( So I can see which one is better. Up to now I think my old one is, but it was so depressing :D)
Enjoy!

Chapter 2

The sky was filled with seagulls, mewing and wheeling on their search for food. Suddenly one of them came rushing down to the deep blue water. A few meters above it changed the direction just timely to wrest the bread of an unaware man.
While an angrily cursing Thomas gazed after the seagull now increasing height, it was attacked by another, probably hungry one. With loud cawing both escaped from his field of vision. Both were flying into the sun and then merged with the sea.
Thomas was again looking into the sea in front of him, watching the hypnotizing play of waves crashing against the ship's hull. He wasn't hungry anyway. He was just feeling incredibly miserable.
The calm, steady movement of the water made him feel dizzy. He watched it coming nearer and nearer...
Suddenly his head touched the icecold water. In panic he threw his arms around to get his head into the air again.
The sky had changed. Black clouds began to fill every single corner. Waves got higher, towered to walls of water by the wind. Suddenly he was pushed into the water. The air escaped out of his lungs. Although he was nearly stunned by the bleakness, he managed to cut the surface again. Immediately he was pushed down again?
“Is this the end? I hope so.” he thought, then he woke up, gasping.

At that moment one of the sailors came from beyond the deck to take the air and slowly approached the gasping Thomas. He friendly patted him onto the back.
“Are you seasick? Don't worry, that won't last forever. And we will reach the mainland soon, anyway. Will you already leave us?”
“I think so. Living on a boat isn't the right way for me. I like to be on terra firma.”
“Most of the people do. We will loose many of our sailors when we reach the next port. Thats the bad thing about being a sailor. Life passes by and you are unable to stop anywhere. But its also too fast to really miss anything.”
“But slow enough to think about what you might have missed.”
“It would, if I had enough time to think about it. But it seems as if I won't have any spare time soon. I'll have to replace all of you who leave us. Ungrateful bunch.”
Thomas laughed.
“Guess life will pass by fast enough to forgive us?”
“Time will tell.”
A loud voice screamed from inside the boat.
“That seems to be the captain: I'll have to go again.”
With this words he left Thomas, again patting him on the back as a gesture of farewell.
“Is it also fast enough to forget everything?”

The first sunbeams made their way through a little window and reached a bed behind it. After some minutes, Pete's eyes slowly began to open. He needed some times to organize his mind, then he stood up with a big yawn. Time to get ready. The sea was most beautiful in the morning when the sun went up and he didn't want to miss that spectacle.
He took a first look out of the window. A crowd of villagers were walking down the street.
“Something important must have happened if people like them crowd.”
He would understand hiding under a blanket, but crowding?
It took him only twenty seconds to dress and to run out of his house down the street into the direction he saw the villagers going away.

Soon the villagers stopped. They were still around fifty meters away from him, but Pete could already see the object of their interest. A giant ship was lying in the harbour.
Not many ships made their way to Pete's little hometown. It was far away from any big cities or ocean shipping lanes and one of the least interesting places in the world.
The villagers weren't sad about that, in fact they appreciated it. Less foreign people meant less trouble. Now they were looking at the descending sailors suspiciously. A man in a blue uniform with golden medals on it, probably the captain, approached the villagers first. Ponderously he explained them his reason for landing in their harbour, seeing the suspicion in their faces.
Pete sighed. He had thought it would be more interesting. Well, the sailors would stay for the whole day or even longer.
“Fishing goes first.” he thought.
He turned around and went to his boat, still hearing the voice of the captain behind him.

The village became smaller and smaller with every stroke he made. Additionally fog came up so it soon was only a shape on the horizon. Pete stopped. Sweat was running down his neck. He took his net and began to fish.
With the fog becoming more and more dense, time went by. Finally Pete stopped and pulled his net out of the water. He turned his head around. This was freedom, with nothing but water and the seagulls around you. Without borders, without constrictions.
He looked into the direction where the ship must have come from. The fog limited his sight but it didn't destroy the feeling of entire wideness. Images came up in Pete's head. Images of far countries, unknown animals, giant buildings.
When he woke up the sun already touched the horizon. The fog had disappeared but nevertheless the mainland wasn't it sight. The waves must have floated him out. He had to hurry up if he didn't want to spend a night on the sea. Fortunately he could still orientate by reference to the sun. He began to strike.

While the last sunbeam disappeared, Pete reached the well-known coast. He was about to tie up his boat when he noticed a man standing some meters away from him looking into the sea. After inspecting the knot he made he went to the man.
“Are you one of the sailors?”
The man wasn't looking at him while answering.
“Yes, I am. The sunset was beautiful, wasn't it?”
His voice sounded somehow melancholic.
“I didn't have much time to watch it. But I'm sure it was. It's beautiful again and again. So what are you still doing here? I guess you don't have a place to sleep? No problem, in my house is more than enough place to spare. Come on.”
He seemed to be undetermined, but Pete dragged him away. Pete failed in engaging him in conversation so it became a very silent walk.
Thanks given by:
probably the last chapter for some time as I hopefully will have much to do with the internet novel.
Btw: Next chapter is going to be longer. This was really short.
Don't know what to say. Just
Enjoy!

Chapter 3

Together with the next morning, heavy rain approached from the sea. Soon it reached the mainland and began to float streets and guttering. It patted against windows and forced the villagers to stay inside. Only a single stooping shadow was seen on the street. It clung to its coat to keep off the rain as good as possible.
Thomas was walking across empty lanes, the rain his only, omnipresent fellow. It nearly seemed as if the village has been vacated from one moment to the other. On the other side of the street a dog clung on the wall of a house. Someone probably had forgotten to take him in. Or maybe it was a stray.
Thomas presses the coat on his body. The rain had increased.
Finally he reached the end of the village. He was looking back a last time, then he vanished into the forest within seconds. Only his footsteps indicated that he had been there and even they were obliterated by the rain.
He wasn't sure why he had to go away from this village. But deep inside he felt that there was a good reason for it. Maybe he would find it out some day. Maybe.
As he passed the first trees, he did the first step into another world. The rain couldn't manage to get through to him – only the noise it made when patting on the leaves showed it was there – and suddenly the world around him vanished. All he could see was the leaves and ferns in front of his eyes.
The forest was somehow timeless. Nothing was changing in here. All of those trees had been there ages and ages ago. Not breathing, not living. The marks he left while crossing it faded behind him. There was no past, no future, no presence. Only the forest.
He would love to stay here forever, within those trees being a part of all that. But he did have a past, a presence and hopefully also a future. He had to go on.

Pete took a deep breath. What a wonderful scent. The table in front of him was filled with bread and cheese, marmalade and butter. Nothing is a better start for the day than a good breakfast. And after the time on sea, his guest would be happy to get a real meal. Would be bad if he died of scurvy.
He went upstairs and knocked on the door. No response. Was he still sleeping? Well, it would be better to grant him his sleep. But what should he do himself?
Brain and stomach had a short argument, then he went downstairs again to eat breakfast.
After some time he began to wonder. How could someone sleep so long? What was if he had died? He scraped the thought but that couldn't prevent his brain from finding new, morbid possibilities. Finally he decided to look after his guest. He wasn't hungry anymore so he wasn't missing anything.
Carefully he opened the door for a slit and looked inside. The bed was empty!
He shook his head and went downstairs again. The strange thoughts about the reasons for his absence came back but of course he knew that they were rubbish. Probably the sailor had forgotten to say him goodbye. Maybe he had to go back to his ship. Or he was dump. However Pete was very angry. He had expected a bit more gratefulness.
Still angry he left his house to go to his boat. The fish wouldn't wait. Additionally he could pay a visit to the ship to see whether the sailor was there.
Soon he reached the pier and found nearly the same scenery as on the day before. The crowd was much smaller than the day before, but the captain was still standing in the middle of the square speaking with a loud voice.
“...Although we had a very nice time here, we have to leave you now. The world isn't waiting for us and we have a strict schedule to stay on. Conclusive I want to thank you for your hospitality” - Some of the sailors were grinning. Probably they didn't get to know any kind of hospitality the last day - “... and comprehension. I'm sure that some of us might come back if they have the possibility to do so. Fare you well!”
With this words he turned around and screamed something to the sailors Pete couldn't understand. The sailors probably had because they began to unmoor the ship.
Pete went to the captain. He stopped just two steps behind him, but the captain was too occupied by screaming to notice the man standing behind him. Finally Pete coughed slightly. Now the captain turned around.
“What are you doing here. I am bussy, can't you see that? Hey Bob, where are you? Is it so hard to get a crappy rope?”
“I'm searching someone from your crew. He had stood overnight and then had left without saying a word. Tall, around thirty...”
The captain was furrowing his brow.
“... with a stooping back and he had such an absent, melancholic look on his face.”
Now the captain's frown got even stronger.
“Ah, now I know about whom you are talking. Well, you won't find him here. I haven't seen him since yesterday. We'll have to leave without him.”
With this words he turned around and entered the ship which now began to sail out of the harbour.
Pete was left alone on the pier.

The ship was calmly sailing on the ocean. Slowly it came nearer to the coast where a woman was waiting for it. Selene was fascinated by the reflections of the sunbeams in the water. It was completely smooth. Somewhere out there was the answer. The answer to all her questions. The sea was singing it, the wind was whispering it and the seagulls were mewing it but she couldn't here it. It was everywhere around here just not where she was. She sighed.
Now the ship had come a fair way nearer. In a few minutes it would reach the harbour. She stood up and took out a little bag. A bright rattling was to be heard. She opened the bag and some coins glittering in the sunlight fell out of it.
As she looked up the ship reached the harbour. She took some of the coins and let the others disappear in the bag again, Than she went onto the deck.
She was on the sea again.
Thanks given by: