Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blind Typing
This way you can manage to type text more and more easily through time. at the start you will be slow though, but practice makes perfect!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_typing
[Image: 400px-Touch_typing.svg.png]

Consider learning Dvorak instead of Querty though, it's much better and widely available on Windows, Ubuntu...:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Sim...d_Keyboard
Thanks given by:
While I will always support learning touch typing, since it's a skill you probably will benefit from no matter your profession, I'd be very careful with going directly to Dvorak.

The claim that Dvorak is strictly better is dubious, to say the least. Especially if you're not already proficient at typing.(source)

The common claim is that keys are put where they are so that they are slower to type, due to the arms on a mechanical typewriter. As far as I can find out, it was rather the intention that the most common letter pairs were intended to be typed in an alternating fashion, i.e. left-right-left-right side, to avoid collisions. This theory is not waterproof, though, and we can't ask the man. (source)

Almost everyone uses QWERTY. Learn to touch-type on QWERTY. If you want to try something different, or feel like your regular typing habits give you trouble, try Dvorak. Then, when you've tried both, make your selection.
| Metaknight | G-types | Bottle Skinz | Companion Cube | Art Gallery |
"Do not grieve, it is logical. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
- Mr. Spock
"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken"
- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
Thanks given by:
(10-14-2018, 09:01 AM)SirFrog Wrote:  While I will always support learning touch typing, since it's a skill you probably will benefit from no matter your profession, I'd be very careful with going directly to Dvorak.

The claim that Dvorak is strictly better is dubious, to say the least. Especially if you're not already proficient at typing.(source)

The common claim is that keys are put where they are so that they are slower to type, due to the arms on a mechanical typewriter. As far as I can find out, it was rather the intention that the most common letter pairs were intended to be typed in an alternating fashion, i.e. left-right-left-right side, to avoid collisions. This theory is not waterproof, though, and we can't ask the man. (source)

Almost everyone uses QWERTY. Learn to touch-type on QWERTY. If you want to try something different, or feel like your regular typing habits give you trouble, try Dvorak. Then, when you've tried both, make your selection.

Dvorak is way better than QWERTY (vowels in one side, common consonants in the other.) It is widely available on common platforms. There is the thing with having to change tho definition (take 1-5 minutes) of the given computer, but that's all the cons. I myself touch type and I am a proud user of Dvorak. Dvorak users hold the world English record.
Thanks given by:
(10-14-2018, 11:14 AM)Uri Wrote:  Dvorak is way better than QWERTY (vowels in one side, common consonants in the other.) It is widely available on common platforms. There is the thing with having to change tho definition (take 1-5 minutes) of the given computer, but that's all the cons. I myself touch type and I am a proud user of Dvorak. Dvorak users hold the world English record.
I'm afraid I don't agree. There's fast typists using both QWERTY and Dvorak, as notably Sean Wrona and Guilherme Sandrini both use QWERTY. As far as I can find, Sean Wrona holds the record.
As for being widely available, you're disregarding the fact that a lot of people in a professional setting may not have the freedom to change something like that. Additionally, if you move computers a lot, most of them will have QWERTY, making all your nice, fast Dvorak skills moot.

However, since we both agree that touch-typing, no matter the layout, is a useful skill, I think we should agree to disagree on the layout. Arguing about it will not help beginners learn touch-typing.
I'll reiterate that I recommend beginners to learn basic touch-typing on QWERTY (or your regional equivalent, such as AZERTY) for its availability, and then try out Dvorak and see if you like it more. Research is not conclusive, so try it out for yourself.
| Metaknight | G-types | Bottle Skinz | Companion Cube | Art Gallery |
"Do not grieve, it is logical. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
- Mr. Spock
"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken"
- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
Thanks given by: