Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Art Thread
Guys The main purpose of logo is for identification. Ideally a logo should be recognizable and clearly readable when placed in a 1/2 inch square. So please forget about all the details and think in terms of shapes

The thing I like about your approach is that you are trying to use negative space. There are great ones like FedEx logo but that's not the only option you have to try. I have given a few tries to this.

There are essentially three types of logos:

1. Word mark - Just text
2. Logo
3. Logo + text

Logo can be further classified as

1. Abstract
2. Representational

So Bizarre Hare would definitely fit into representational judging from what you were trying to do.

So my thought process would be:

What will the hare wear? What is the most significant thing about it?
Oh it's a hare but it wears a coat. It's Bizarre. Now you experiment various representation of the hare,until you reach the one that represents this character perfectly. It should look like a hare and also should have the bizarre quality you think it has. Once we finalize what it's going to be, let's worry about the aesthetics, what kind of fonts we are gonna use, what line weight we are gonna use, how's the lock up gonna look like, etc.,

Go on many iteration till you settle with the one you like. Push your thoughts to extreme and stretch your imagination, chances are you might end up with a great logo.

Ideation (Click to View)
a.k.a firzenx or X.
Deviantart| Arts |sprites|FaceBook
Thanks given by: Sevendogs
I'm sorry, but I just tilted while reading your post.
Please don't feel offended, I just disagree with most of things you write.

(10-23-2017, 01:33 PM)MnM Wrote:  Guys The main purpose of logo is for identification. Ideally a logo should be recognizable and clearly readable when placed in a 1/2 inch square. So please forget about all the details and think in terms of shapes
That's bullsh*t. There are tons of proffesional, well known logos, that are used as best examples for branding, based on detail.
Look at these, popular brands representation:

Johnnie Walker (which is even more detailed after recent rebranding) (Click to View)
Ferrari (Old but still valid logo) (Click to View)
Red Wings NHL (Click to View)
Starbucks (Click to View)

It is mainly a technical asspect to make detail still visable after scaling down. If you do it properly it still can be clear.
The general shape will still be clear in Luti's logo, even when scaled to half of an inch.

(10-23-2017, 01:33 PM)MnM Wrote:  There are essentially three types of logos:

1. Word mark - Just text
2. Logo
3. Logo + text
If you intend to teach people, please, at least use proper terminology.

(10-23-2017, 01:33 PM)MnM Wrote:  What will the hare wear? What is the most significant thing about it?
Oh it's a hare but it wears a coat. It's Bizarre. Now you experiment various representation of the hare,until you reach the one that represents this character perfectly. It should look like a hare and also should have the bizarre quality you think it has. Once we finalize what it's going to be, let's worry about the aesthetics, what kind of fonts we are gonna use, what line weight we are gonna use, how's the lock up gonna look like, etc.,
Knowing Luti's art I think I can relate what he wants to represent with his logo.
I believe the type of expression his graphic does is exactly what you would want it to be.
Logo feels inconsistent, intriguing, disturbing, very plastic and artistic. Yet it's simple and readable. It totally digs the style of his art-flow in general. I think it's a very good match.

(10-23-2017, 01:33 PM)MnM Wrote:  Go on many iteration till you settle with the one you like. Push your thoughts to extreme and stretch your imagination, chances are you might end up with a great logo.
That's a good point. Although I really like current idea and I think all it needs is just a technical asspect.

(10-23-2017, 01:33 PM)MnM Wrote:  
Ideation (Click to View)

I am sorry, but the ideas you represent are sooo ordinary. Beside, most of them look like bunch of random items put together.
Not to mention these won't feel even close to Luti's artstyle.
Thanks given by:
Well I'm not offended since I already know about you but, you could also try to be even more polite :P ..

Anyways, the main purpose was to tell you guys is that there are many possibilities and I didn't have time to write a detailed reply, since Luti showed only two iterations, I didn't know if he had tried exploring even further.

Ideally a logo is going to be smallest in the website header or a company letterhead and it could be printed on the sides of a van or building facade, where it's going to be huge. You could be designing for a website right now but what if you want to expand and start a company then you can't change the logo each and every time.Logos which are developed from simple shapes tend to look good in all circumstances.

Companies like ferrari are using the same horse maybe because of the history, or rather sentiment :

https://stocklogos.com/topic/history-ferrari-logo

You showed that star bucks logo is detailed as such, but this is what I found :

[Image: starbucks.jpg?alias=standard_600x400]

They maybe marking a milestone but this brand is trying to adapt to the present generation. The latest star bucks logo is as simple as it can be. That's what they are trying to achieve - simplicity. Even though it's detailed for a simple logo, the stripes are thick enough. It's not like a strand of hair.

Similar thing can be said about johnnie walker. I don't know which one is new so I'm not going to comment on that:
[Image: johnny_walker_logo.png]

Another thing about using simple shapes is that it will look good now and it will also look good 10 years later. Logos should be timeless. Sometimes the best logo could be just plain text. Verizon for example.

You can look for George Bokhua on Instagram and see how he draws his logos. Sometimes he just uses circles, sometimes just a little modification to a text. Ultimately when thinking about logos I think about what are the props or places it's going to be. You made one logo and it's been printed on everything and suddenly you notice it's not looking good on a pen cap or something, then you can't go and change everything.

About Luti's style, I think it's up to him to decide that. I know my ideas are very basic and simple but that's not what I was trying to do, I was jut encouraging more exploration.
a.k.a firzenx or X.
Deviantart| Arts |sprites|FaceBook
Thanks given by: Sevendogs
I think Mnm got point here making logos less complicated is more readable.he used nice examples which are pretty much defines that logo.keep it simple that's it.

The poster above Mnm is talking bulls*it and overreacting.
Thanks given by: Gad
Just something simple
[Image: Ji9p0v5.png]
Useful
Thanks given by: Sevendogs , STM1993 , Jahvansi , koori , NewToTheEra
made this for a short lived relationship yesterday
[Image: 20180831_231652.jpg]
A sequence of variables thatre engraved since the beginning of the cosmos is responsible for animating things in reality
Thanks given by: Bamboori , Gad , NewToTheEra
ZOOTOPIA
Its been a long time since i last visited.. :D :D :D
Thanks given by: MangaD , Gad , Bupkis
(10-10-2018, 04:55 PM)Water Kahn Wrote:  Hey dan have you been practicing art since the day you registered here

when i registered here in 2012 my drawing was like tooo bad.. well due to much practice in the past 6 years .. my drawing skills have improved a lot.... but still i am not good with character designing and other related stuff...
Thanks given by:
Ah nice, 4 year gravedig.

Recently been in some "painting trees rabbithole"
Made an instagram account – and thereby sold my soul, obviously – here's some more if anyone's interested: @funky.tree.grove
Thanks given by: LutiChris , prince_freeza
(08-22-2022, 10:04 AM)Lauli Wrote:  Ah nice, 4 year gravedig.

Recently been in some "painting trees rabbithole"
Made an instagram account – and thereby sold my soul, obviously – here's some more if anyone's interested: @funky.tree.grove

these are lovely, i'm getting a Dr. Seuss vibe with the way the trees feel organic & loose but clearly detailed & luscious. if you're selling these i hit you up on instagram - the place where all souls never return back to the cosmic source clearly!^^
A sequence of variables thatre engraved since the beginning of the cosmos is responsible for animating things in reality
Thanks given by: Lauli