Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Installing Ubuntu
So I am currently trying to install Ubuntu on my PC.

Why? Because Windows is bugging me over and over.

So I decided to install it as a dual boot. (meaning that Windows still exists on my hard drive, and that I can still run it)

So far I have downloaded the ISO image, burned it onto a CD, and restarted my computer and begun installing it.

However now it is stuck on "Getting time from a networkserver" (not the correct translation as I am installing it in Danish).

It might be a good thing to point out, that the first step was "Getting time from a networkserver", and when it got to "Ready when you are", it simply waited there forever (not literally), until it changed back to "Getting time from a networkserver".

I am new to Linux based systems, so it might just be something obvious that I missed, but anyway, I guess, that it might not be so obvious then.
Age ratings for movies and games (and similar) have never been a good idea.
One can learn a lot from reinventing wheels.
An unsound argument is not the same as an invalid one.
volatile in C++ does not mean thread-safe.
Do not make APIs unnecessarily asynchronous.
Make C++ operator > again
Trump is an idiot.
Thanks given by:
strange, every time i've installed it from scratch (well, version 9.04 upwards, currently it's 10.10 or something), it's worked without any problems. if you could get your hands on wubi, that might install it for you.
(perhaps try installing it in a virtual box to see if it's what u've downloaded that might be corrupted. english version's always worked for me though)

Azriel~
Thanks given by:
Well, it doesn't seem to work for me.
Even worse is that now I can't get it to start up in Windows.
It always shows the Ubuntu setup.
Trump is an idiot.
Thanks given by:
try disconecting it from the internet while installing? that should stop it from even trying to reach their time servers...

then again, it may have messed up during the burning process.. at what speed did you burn it at? you shouldn't burn it faster than 4x, probably 2x if you have patience to wait (unlike me) or you risk it stuffing up. (u can try to re-insert the cd when it gets stuck - thats what i do with my win7 backups)

on the other, i really won't expect you to like ubuntu - especially if you are planning to just use the gui and r coming from win7

win7 is just so much more polished and just designed in a way to improve efficiency (atleast i noticed it when going xp -> 7)

the only place linux shines is its large amount of extremely polished command line tools which were devloped over the years. the first thing i do when i start linux is open up a full screen terminal and start up tmux/vim/irssi/rtorrent and a bunch of other stuff. and really I just use it for programming and it took me ages to config tmux and vim just the way i like

if you arent programming and have access to windows then i really dont see why the heck u'd go to linux.
Thanks given by:
(12-23-2010, 11:51 AM)Xidd Wrote:  on the other, i really won't expect you to like ubuntu - especially if you are planning to just use the gui and r coming from win7

win7 is just so much more polished and just designed in a way to improve efficiency (atleast i noticed it when going xp -> 7)

It's always this way:
Windows = Expensive, polished, user-friendly
Linux (Ubuntu) = Free, complex, console-based (at least if you REALLY want to use it's advantages)

I'm using Windows only, too, but for my studies i will probably need to get Linux as well, soon :(
My Creations: (Click to View)

Return (String) System.getNewsOfTheDay();
Barely active, expect slow responses. If at all.

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by:
(12-23-2010, 12:08 PM)Alblaka Wrote:  Windows = Expensive, polished, user-friendly
Linux (Ubuntu) = Free, complex, console-based (at least if you REALLY want to use it's advantages)
You forgot these:
Windows = Slow
Linux (Ubuntu) = Fast

Also I am still keeping Windows.

Anyway, I am trying to reinstall it now.
I'm on the "Who are you?" step.
I have completed the installation.

Now my problem is how to run it with the Linux Ubuntu operating system.
Currently when I start my computer it just runs Windows.
Trump is an idiot.
Thanks given by:
(12-23-2010, 03:49 PM)Someone else Wrote:  You forgot these:
Windows = Slow
Linux (Ubuntu) = Fast

lolol if u say so...

(12-23-2010, 03:49 PM)Someone else Wrote:  I have completed the installation.

Now my problem is how to run it with the Linux Ubuntu operating system.
Currently when I start my computer it just runs Windows.

you somehow broke the fool-proof install system... interesting.
the install should of replaced ur mbr and thus made grub load up instead of the deafult windows boot loader - and grub would ask what you would like to load

it seems the mbr wasnt replaced... did you mess with any of the default settings? from my experience if u dont touch anything and keep pressing next ubuntu will install properly in every practical scenario.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Recove...ingWindows

read that - it should help u fix it
Thanks given by: