Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
The A-Engine: A new Beat 'em Up game engine
(01-15-2015, 01:55 PM)Someone else Wrote:  I'll be the one to ask:
Why, when I choose exit in the menu, does the window close, but the program continues to run?
Has been reported and will be fixed.

Quote:Why, when I press the close button of the window, does the program crash?
Err, I had it close the SDL GUI stuff, but I just realized it does not exit the application itself. Consider it fixed.

Quote:Mouse control in menus?
Should be supported in the engine itself. For the game, however, I wanted to have it all keyboard/controller related. I understand this being an issue for the player, since they might face trouble getting their controls in the first time they play, but I already have a plan for that; the first time a player runs the game, "pop-ups" asking for inputs will appear before the main menu.
In fact, we're planning to get rid of the main menu all together, and go with a "playable interface" inspired by this article.

Quote:I'm not a big fan of One Piece, so I can't say much about the game itself, but I would ask why can't I press defend, forward and attack together. Why do I have to press them in order?
Because defend is not involved at all :P. That combination is probably just Forward + Attack; I tried an approach similar to smash bros' smash attacks. Although has not been done with all the moves just yet.

tip: F1 brings an inaccurate move list. And I know it causes the screen to behave weirdly in the Fullscreen exe.

Quote:Also the character selection screen is hard and unintuitive to navigate. (hexagons may look cool, but they don't work nicely with four-directional movement)
You're right. I shall discuss the matter with the team's GFX guy.

Quote:Also glBegin() and glEnd() are evil!
I know :(. How did you know I used those though lol? They're veeery slow. Anyway, the plan is to switch over to VBOs soonish. I've tried switching over earlier, but stumbled upon linker errors caused by misconceptions with #including. Only later did I learn using include guards properly, so I think it should work now.

Quote:Edit: If you have code related questions you can shoot me a PM, and I'll try to answer them.
Thanks a lot! Especially for the feedback!
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The A-Engine: A new Beat 'em Up game engine - by A-Man - 01-15-2015, 02:20 PM
A-Engine Supports 3D! - by A-Man - 11-23-2015, 07:40 AM
The A-Engine: Naming Conventions - by A-Man - 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM