Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
LF2 iMBa! Balance in iMBalance!
? 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/en1jsy21lms8mn...1.zip?dl=0

A whole new LF2 experience! Want to try something new, yet get that good ol' adrenaline pump only LF2 can give? Then check this out! Same heroes, yet completely revamped skills! Each and every heroes has been boosted to imBA, yet they are all equally powerful. Power in balance? Nah, here its balance in powers.

|   |\  /|   |)       /\
|   | \/ |   |_)   /~~\  Little Fighters <Balance in Imbalance>
by LT`Haz.3 (Click to View)
The screen shots don't do this game justice (I'm really bad at 'Screentography')
What will surprise you, or should I say, the USP of this mod is that while all of the characters are terribly empowered, it still feels perfectly balanced. I played with my buddies before uploading this, tweaked and fine tuned until my buddies felt all the main heroes are balanced. But YOU be the judge. please do check it out (I compressed it in a .zip file reducing file size to <30 mb) and I welcome any comments, suggestions, criticism. (Related to this mod of course :))
"I have been playing too many 'AAA' games on my PC lately. I gotta stop. Why you ask? Well, I saw this really beautiful sunset once, and the first thing that came to my mind was, 'The clouds need more Anti-aliasing'" - LThaz3
Thanks given by:
Sounds very interesting, but I can't say I am going to download it without more description (preferably screenshots or even a video) on what this mod has to show us.
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by:
Same..
                            LF Extended                              [Image: 2518290.gif][Image: e38dd1f.gif][Image: 533172c.gif] (click on the pic)                       Deviantart
                            Might be back, might be not :^) anyways awesome to see you guys again!
Thanks given by:
(09-19-2015, 02:38 PM)Doctor A Wrote:  Sounds very interesting, but I can't say I am going to download it without more description (preferably screenshots or even a video) on what this mod has to show us.

My bad, should have completed my character listing then posted. Well, it's done now. And don't let the Screen Shots fool you. kind of hard to take one and my sense of ..well...'Screen Shotting' is kind of bad. :)
"I have been playing too many 'AAA' games on my PC lately. I gotta stop. Why you ask? Well, I saw this really beautiful sunset once, and the first thing that came to my mind was, 'The clouds need more Anti-aliasing'" - LThaz3
Thanks given by:
So after going through the trouble of unzipping the mod (windows explorer couldn't unzip it, and kept throwing me a 0x80004005 error), I finally managed to try it.

The deal with this mod is letting characters spawn more energy objects in their attacks. The deal breaker was the fact that these energy objects often didn't allow for combos I like to do in LF2 and didn't offer any new combos in return. You called this mod balanced, but there were few moves which didn't quite follow the premise (to name one, Firen's fire breath). You claimed that every move underwent a revamp, but it felt it was merely new opoints that were added in the frames of pretty much every move.

I didn't really enjoy this :\, but that is still just my opinion.
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: STM1993 , Dragon5

(09-20-2015, 04:43 AM)Doctor A Wrote:  So after going through the trouble of unzipping the mod (windows explorer couldn't unzip it, and kept throwing me a 0x80004005 error), I finally managed to try it.

The deal with this mod is letting characters spawn more energy objects in their attacks. The deal breaker was the fact that these energy objects often didn't allow for combos I like to do in LF2 and didn't offer any new combos in return. You called this mod balanced, but there were few moves which didn't quite follow the premise (to name one, Firen's fire breath). You claimed that every move underwent a revamp, but it felt it was merely new opoints that were added in the frames of pretty much every move.

I didn't really enjoy this :\, but that is still just my opinion.

Thanks for the feed back....Hmm...should have thought twice before using LZMA compression. Well, i will change it to normal.   The old combos still work okay but sadly there are no new combos(maybe except Deep's new triple ball hit). and as for the attacks you feel are imbalanced(underpowered or overpowered) can you please give me a list so that i can work on it? my main priority is balance and I will be thankful if you can help me out.
Thanks given by:
neat must be something!!!
Thanks given by:
One of my major points I bring up in competitive game design is that projectiles are the most broken thing to exist. An attack detached from your character is an awesome tool. It's possible to balance, but projectiles are part of the reason why bosses are challenging in any video game. Akuma and Sagat in Street Fighter 2 have the most annoying projectiles to deal with and they could win by using them over and over.

Looking through your "upgrades" I see that it only pertains to projectiles for the most part. You've made no adjustment to the damages or the physics of special moves unless you made a projectile spawn from it. You went overboard as everyone else did. You could have done things to imbalance specials such as Davis's Dragon Punch doing multiple hits, allowing Woody's Turn Kick to hit at any range, or even simply increasing the damage of attacks. You've made no adjustments to the physical attacks in the moves, much less adjustments in regard to the special moves working with your new adjustments. The only thing you did was lower the costs for SOME of the moves.

Let me take Dennis for example. You made his Strafe shoot six energy blasts. Either you hit them with four blasts, or they're too close for the blasts to even touch them. The attacks have the same exact properties as before. They work against each other because of it. It's either you hit them far away with four blasts, or you get close enough to use his four kicks. The best you can get is three of each to hit at the same time. Dennis can't reliably blast as well either with him increasing each hit. I assume you are unaware that his second and fourth blasts go upwards and downwards respectively naturally. It kinda works against him.
Davis shoots the same number of blasts each time by comparison. It works better for him because he gets out more faster. Davis's Strafe "projectiles" sends opponents too far away to connect with his Leap Attack half of the time. You made DP more balanced however by sending them away. The fact that Davis could catch an opponent flipping or still be close to them when they get up was a little too dominating.
Why is Deep the only character that has superhuman movement? Granted, his design makes it a little hard to get close, but you went over the top with every movement value that you probably have no idea how it works. Now he is the fastest in the game ON TOP of the same projectile treatment you gave everyone else. If you wanted to make him move faster, you could have simply copied Davis's numbers over Deep's. (Granted, when I first started balancing LF2 characters, I accidentally made Firzen's and Julian's dashes worse than average, but I kept other things about the same) Once again, you don't have the moves and projectiles working with each other. It's either one or the other, or that rare chance of both working somewhat together.

I'm not even gonna start on the rest of the cast as their power levels among each other are relatively the same as before (in other words, they are just about as good/bad as they were in the original game). My biggest complaint is that your new projectile adjustments are a little too far away from the character to be effective at close range. No matter what, I'm fairly confident that this could be improved upon.

Balancing through imbalance is indeed possible, but this approach is not the best way to do it. You're already playing a game that executes this concept exceedingly well. Zenshin is probably the only other mod I know that does a decent attempt at this, and I don't recall that mod using projectiles so heavily. If I really wanted to play a projectile fighting game, I would either play Reinforced LF2, or Immaterial and Missing Power.

TL;DR: You've done what everybody else has done.

PS: Props for the exe editing. If you use a program such as GIMP you could work out the transparency to make it look good on the loading screen.
To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong.
The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must reach beyond the boundaries of time itself.
And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step...
Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others.
Thanks given by: A-Man , STM1993 , empirefantasy , AmadisLFE