Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
LF2 on Two Levels (Platforms)
Updates:
Sorry guys, me and nave won't be finishing this. The good news is you get the source for the dll :

Source:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y2mtnzgkjaa
Latest version:

http://www.savefile.com/files/2082187 (I think, maybe:p)

Latest version( as of 20th of april, should probably check the thread as well for updates incase im to lazy to update this post)

Videos:
[youtube]GzwRzKeXMuM[/youtube]

[youtube]pkckmbncCdE[/youtube]

Originally created by MH (original thread ) basically allows you to play on 2 "levels" (or "platforms ;) ).

MH decided to scrape the project because it wasn't very practical back then (stupid AI, broken sprites weren't working properly etc). Most of these issues are now solved because hex editors/ reverse engineers( xxtomnyxx, genevrier and I) learned and documented how the lf2 engine works.

So because all the issues were fixed, I decided to restart this project.
Here is what I have so far:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmyn4d1xudp (credits : MH for creating the characters + items + a bg | Lauli : Creating a completely unrelated bg which I decided to stick in :p | Me: creating the ai. Special thanks to genevrier for figuring out how the ai works :D).

It includes what MH had done + stuck in laulis bg to see if it fits perfectly without modification (it doesn't :( ) + very very primitive AI (to convince you people to join this project :p).

So yeah, looking for talented/proficient dcers/spriters/reverse engineers(looking at you genevrier :p) to help out.

First there should be some standard decided upon(distance between top and bottom layer) so that all the BGs are "compatible". Then BG's should be made + characters.

I put a lot of thought(seriously, I did) into how it will all work... And came up with this idea:

------------------------------- Screen boundary
__________________________ walk boundary
Top Level
__________________________ Walk boundary
++++++++++++++++++++++++
___________________________ Walk boundary
Lower Level
___________________________walk boundary
-------------------------------- Screen boundary

I hope that "drawing" makes sense.

Now the +'s are the sprites between both layers, I think they should be some sort of climbable thing (e.g : tree vines).

If character is on bottom levelr, at highest possible Z value, and presses DJA he will start climbing up to the top layer.

If character is on top level, at lowest possible Z value, and pressed DJA he will start climbing down to the bottom level.

What do you guys think? I'm sure the technical stuff isn't impossible...

I can create a state which will find the BG's maximum and z width, and then see if the character is on it, if he is it will send him to frame X otherwise back to frame 0 :p.

On frame X, talented DCers + spriters will create the climbing sequence then use state 4xxx to transform to the new ID for the top layer.

So yeah. Post : comments, suggestions, if you plan to help, you think this is the stupidest idea on earth and I should go live under a rock for suggesting it... You know, standard stuff :).

PS: My exams start on may, and finish on June 5th... So I won't be very active during that time. I'm not really needed for the spriting or the DCing so I think that stuff can go on then :p.

PSS: It'd be possible to create cool stage mode scenarios with this, for example:

You have to protect two carts full of weapons(or w/e... I'm not much for story :p), and they are on two different levels... So you are constantly switching between the two :D.

Or you could have lava come up "randomly" on either stage so you have to quickly go down so you don't die.

The possibilities are endless.
[Image: doty7Xn.gif]

10 ʏᴇᴀʀs sɪɴᴄᴇ ɪʀᴄ ɢᴏᴏᴅ.ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟsᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴘᴀᴛʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ sᴛᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀ ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ɪʀᴄ ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴘᴇsᴛᴇʀ ᴢᴏʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsɪsᴛ ʜɪs sᴇxɪɴᴇss ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢʟᴇss. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ɪs ɴᴇᴀʀ.ɪ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ɪʀᴄ ʟᴏɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴛᴏ sʟᴇᴇᴘ.

Thanks given by: skelguardian , Hukko
Wow, it actually worked o.o this is really good. I don't know how I could use it but if anyone else needs something with 2 platforms dang!
Thanks given by:
holy crap, this is so awesome!
Yah.. some sweet story modes could be written with this new system! Dang indeed!
I wonder if the chinese ever came up with this already o.O? (ya I kno.. prolly not :p)

lol @ Silva rulez ^^

ps: stupid question, but I don't know anything bout DCing so..
(after checking v post.. I was wondering if when a hunter shoots at the top floor.. the arrow can fall down to the bottom floor?)

prolly not, cuz then all characters will fall down, but I was just wondering if it would be able to do it for just the arrows..? :p

[Image: jpvgcj.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Stage ideas:
Take out hunters among the treetops in Lion Forest
Free prisoners from 2 cellblocks in Stanley Prison
Take out hunters (again :p) in the towers on the Great Wall
Dunno the rest :p
FOLLOW THE RULES!

LFE Forum Rules (Click to View)
Grand Fonic Hymn - Orchestral Arrangement. Arranged by me. I promise it's not horribad.
Thanks given by:
ok a word to the distance between the levels: the levels can't be very öarge (in z-direction), cause then the jump could reach the second floor and so that you can see the jump on both floors there're not many possibilities - I think the thing I used is already quite a middle-way, so I suggest to go on with values like this ;)
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
www.lf-empire.de
Once I had a fortune, it said: "Leave now. Life is short. Time is luck"
Don't dream your life, live your dream!
Thanks given by:
I can work as a DC'er here
for the "if he is at the highest z-value then he'll climb down and if he's on the lowest he'll climb up"-thingy... I could have done that without any hex editing, but if you want to create a special state for it, sure, why not^^
Thanks given by:
If you can do it, without any bugs and without making 1000000 different bdys and 1000 different balls then sure. Do it the DC way :).

Anyway I'm psyched about this! This is going to be so cool!!! :p
[Image: doty7Xn.gif]

10 ʏᴇᴀʀs sɪɴᴄᴇ ɪʀᴄ ɢᴏᴏᴅ.ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟsᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴘᴀᴛʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ sᴛᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀ ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ɪʀᴄ ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴘᴇsᴛᴇʀ ᴢᴏʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsɪsᴛ ʜɪs sᴇxɪɴᴇss ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢʟᴇss. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ɪs ɴᴇᴀʀ.ɪ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ɪʀᴄ ʟᴏɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴛᴏ sʟᴇᴇᴘ.

Thanks given by:
the thing that gets me is the climbing. you would have to be at a specific position to climb right? if its that, then it would solve my question which is if you were anywhere else say the very bottom of the lower platform. wouldnt you look like you were climbing in midair?
character idea; [Image: goo.png]
this fella will just soak into the ground and pop up anywhere lool

edit: oh another one. say if you were to shoot balls. you'd obviously make them stick to the platform they are in right? and also the instancee of freeze's ice columns and henry's flute. are you gonna make the middle layer big enough for nothing to get through?
~its been a long time coming~
Thanks given by:
I can help with the sprites. Feel free to PM me if you need something (I am almost done with long homeworks/exams, so I'll be able to help in a week or so)
Thanks given by:
I can help with dcing when my comp starts letting me play any version of LF2 >.<
FOLLOW THE RULES!

LFE Forum Rules (Click to View)
Grand Fonic Hymn - Orchestral Arrangement. Arranged by me. I promise it's not horribad.
Thanks given by: