Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Contest #6: Sprite Challenge
After all, the LFE-contests are back, so let's get started!

Create a sprite

Requirements:
  • Any character-pose is allowed. You can do a special attack, you can do a defend-, standing, even a falling-sprite; that is totally up to you.
  • Every style is accepted, however LF2-style is preferred.
  • The image must be provided in twice the size (200%). For example, if you use the standard 79x79-size, you're ought to create the sprite as an 158x158-image. This will prove who can create sprites regardless of the conditions given and guarantee a maximum of precision.
  • Animations are not accepted.
  • One entry per member.
Submit your entries before November 14th!!

Good luck to all participants :)

PS: At due date, I'll go through this thread and collect the submissions. If you still have two submissions up, it is likely that I pick the worse one, so please leave only one entry in this thread! Comments & critiques on the sprites are naturally allowed in this thread. And now, bring it on! :)
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
Didn't actually get the requirements the part of the image size(?) do we have to make a normal 79x79 then change the image size to 158x158 or just make a sprite in 158x158?
Thanks given by:
RtXaS, you can do whatever suits you as long as the final outcome of the sprite size is 158x158.
It means that you can sprite it at 79x79 and then resize it, sprite it at 158x158 or even sprite it on a larger scale (like 316x316) and resize it. Just pick the best option you find doable.

TITLE: a idea
make cave for bear?
Thanks given by:
(10-15-2009, 04:34 PM)RtXaS Wrote:  Didn't actually get the requirements the part of the image size(?) do we have to make a normal 79x79 then change the image size to 158x158 or just make a sprite in 158x158?
In order to challenge yourself you should try to make the sprite as large as possible. That's why it's recommended to sprite at least in the mentioned 158x158-dimensions. The final outcome is supposed to be in that range, means that you're technically free to choose the dimensions yourself (f.e. you could make a sprite on a 10000x10000 canvas and then just resize it to fit into the scheme).
Imagine, you're doing an lf2-character that is twice as large as the rest. How would you illustrate him?

Thanks given by:
Just a question, how do you change the size of an image (how can I do it in GIMP) Also I might join but I will lose badly but I will still join.
I am back, not really.
Thanks given by:
(10-15-2009, 07:33 PM)Elias Wrote:  Just a question, how do you change the size of an image (how can I do it in GIMP) Also I might join but I will lose badly but I will still join.
first hit in google: http://manual.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-...scale.html

Not that you'd need to change the size anyways. You can simply start out by already taking the right dimensions.

Thanks given by: Elias
Quote:The image must be provided in twice the size (200%). For example, if you use the standard 79x79-size, you're ought to create the sprite as an 158x158-image.

I don't really get this... what's the point, other than just make things easier for people that sprite at 200% size first and then resize? xD

Quote:This will prove who can create sprites regardless of the conditions given and guarantee a maximum of precision.

A maximum of precision? It's harder (and thus better for a contest) to have precision with normal LF2 size. But it's just my opinion, and I doubt you'll change this :p

Edit:
Also, the sprite should look good after resizing it to 100%? If that isn't necessary then this is my entry:

Edit: Don't use this one, BP.
Thanks given by:
HELLZ YEAS!
i've been waiting for ages for a new sprite contest
@apoc...damn that was quick

anyway, i should really be doing assignments, but ill find some time this weekend to work on it.
and i will submit a small and large version of it, for contrast ;)
Thanks given by:
Usually less than 20 minutes.

Because of that if someone makes something better I'll pull another one in :p
Thanks given by:
Apoc Wrote:A maximum of precision? It's harder (and thus better for a contest) to have precision with normal LF2 size.
The greater the precision, the greater the number of details you can add, the harder it gets to judge because minor things that didn't show up in normal LF2 size now have to be taken in account when choosing.
Thanks given by: