Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spriting Tut in Photoshop
well... after some time this idea came to first place of to-do list...

so.. enjoy...

Don't be to cruel to me... it's my first after all... :D
Thanks given by:
I think I should point some things out here (which I didn't like):
*Font is too small.
*The shading is kewl and all, but somehow it still looks flat to me (maybe it's because of his standing - seriously I wouldn't stand like that) - that's not about your tutorial, but about your example sprite (which is important also).

Other then that it is simple and nice tutorial, with which you could make some nice production of sprites. :)
Keep it up!
Thanks given by: Hate
I guess there's some nice tips for a beginner, although using the burn tool is a horrible idea. Preparing a palette with different shades is better (adding more detailing, better color alignment).
Thanks given by:
@sim...thx...

@Psycho. Ithink that burn tool is pretty good idea... especially if u use photoshop... no one said u must use it... i use it often for shading but i also use color palete too...
i saw your sprites andthey are relly good but u draw then pixel by pixel style... i guess.. and there you can't use burn tool...
burn tool is quicker... u don't have to choose diffrent color... just go over one color few time and it gets darker everytime... thats why i use it....
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2010, 10:25 AM)Daymio Wrote:  burn tool is quicker... u don't have to choose diffrent color... just go over one color few time and it gets darker everytime... thats why i use it....

Ever tried creating a color-palette beforehand and then, while having the brush-tool selected, pressing the alt-key to pick up the color? Gives you much more control over the sprite.

Regarding the tutorial itself, the shading is barely visible. Let me illustrate this in the following example. I tried, for the sake of simplicity, to depict a sphere, using 3 different methods:
[Image: spheres.png]
The way you apply the shading resembles the first one. Only the far edges are burned.
Second is still done with the burn-tool, yet I went a little bit further into it. Still not really satisfying to me.
Latter is made with the brush-tool and the 3 colors shown next to it.

Homework, children: argue what is best. :P
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: Daymio , PsychoPixels
well... thx for showing it to me...

but.. i still don't understand how can't u see shadin on sprite.... zoom it few times and u'll see it...

Quote:Ever tried creating a color-palette beforehand and then, while having the brush-tool selected, pressing the alt-key to pick up the color? Gives you much more control over the sprite.

yup... but like burn tool more...

and... BP... no offence but... that burn tool method of yours... SUX.. :D

@v umm... what?????

Silverthorn edited this post 08-30-2010 12:18 PM because:
You do get the point that you have just directed this at yourself as I am not the one using the burn-tool, right?
Thanks given by:
Just to reply to your last comment, if people cannot see the shading without zooming in to see it, then it isn't properly shaded is it? We don't have to zoom in to davis in game to see that he's shaded, we just have to look at him from a normal glance.

With your shading style, the character looks paper thin. That's what Blue Doom was trying to point out in your sprites aswell. There is no thickness to your character, it doesn't spring out from the page if you get me. The shading needs to expand across the figure to give it a more three dimensional or deep appearance. Look at the first and second image Blue Doom posted up, if it's the second image then you get a sense of depth providing the light is coming from the top right hand corner. With your thin method of shading it looks like the light is coming from outside of the screen, where your right shoulder (as in, in person - real life) is. This provides a nasty illusion that the character is 2-dimensional.

As for the burn tool, yes you may prefer to use it because it takes five seconds, but in 5 seconds there is no way it can be used properly. The burn tool is one of the hardest tools you will ever be able to use properly as an artist. Blue Doom even finds it difficult to use properly, which is why he refrains from using it. You can create a much better appearance with just the brush tool and the TINIEST amount of blur, not too much.

Now for the last part, you used the burn tool to add shading. Where is the use of the dodge tool then? Dodge is perfect for adding highlights to your character, AS LONG as you can use it PROPERLY. Highlighting certain parts of the character may give the effect of more depth and an effect of realism to your sprite.

So my advice here:
Use the paintbrush for your shading.
Use the paintbrush to add highlights.
Use a thicker shadow across the character.
Avoid using burn and dodge until you are very proficient at it, and know when to use it properly.

Hope this helps,

Eddie
One day, I shall become, TUTORIAL-MAN: Superhero of writing overly long, overly annoying tutorials which most people probably won't read, but will give it a stab at the first 5 lines!
Thanks given by: