Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LF2 - Arcade Empire (beta)
[Image: 428a3597846851.5ecf229a28443.png]

INTRODUCTION
I met Little Figther II 15 years ago. The classic arcade style with action combat makes me enjoying until today. Last year I restart my programming study and in parallel restart my own LF version.

CONCEPT
1) The most important topic that motivates me to create this version is to make it well accepted and fun by the players in the LFE community. I want to know everyone's opinion.
2) Graphical improvement. Increasing quantity and quality of sprites. Develop beautiful visual effects without excessive visual pollution (gameplay > graphics).
3) Redefine some points in the combat mechanics: clarity and competitiveness.

My Idea:
Mixing LF2 Beat em Up style with strategy elements, without losing the action genre.
Initially i was focused on Battle-Mode, with strategy and gradual complexity (inspired by Fighting Hero) and VS Mode, by extending the duration of each match (more precisely granting reserve x3). I already change a lot, undone and reissued again.
The current status of the project is described below.

DATES: Achieved Goals
LAST UPDATE: 07/17/2020 - AI
Untill this very moment i already made 75% of the total AI.
Once done, it will be implemented for all char (heroes and troops) in the same day.
Also i'm making this code aiming to be easy manipuled for all members of the community.

SYSTEM: News
05/09/2020 - 1° Post: Basic info, mod concept and initial goals.
Some information has already been changed in the current version. Read the notes in DATES.
VIDEOS: beta test
05/09/2020 - 1° Post: 2 Battle-Mode gameplay with Davis. Has Level System and some new effects.
Some things may be different from the current version. Read the notes in DATES.
------------------------------------------------------

I'm open to suggestions.
I saw this in the morning, but was not able to comment until later.

My impressions thus far:
1. A mod with lots of EXE edits? Nice!
Will there be any plans for AI changes?

2. So you're going for a focus on Army vs Army fights like in Battle mode, with some core mechanic changes.
I personally don't agree with some of the reasons for the change, for example:
  • What if I used a physical attack that costs MP(eg: Davis DvA or D^A)? I would argue that its even less fair, because physical attacks require you to get close and commit, whereas projectiles can be used safely from afar.
  • Flipping is actually not that overpowered. In fact, a bad flip in original LF2 is often far worse than not flipping, since it leads to the enemy being able to perform a 2nd full combo on you.
  • Being vulnerable during a flip, combined with the focus on big army fights & being vulnerable while lying, means that it is much more likely that the big army can keep hitting a player down indefinitely. You would have to add some kind of way for players to escape from this kind of situaton(perhaps at cost of MP). That being said, the video makes it seem like you can get up instantly so getting hit while lying isn't really a thing?
  • Rolling being invulnerable is at least an internally consistent mechanic within LF2, even if not consistent with the hitboxes on other parts.
That being said, I'm happy to see you take your interpretation further and make it interesting and balanced.

3. The style of moves and art strongly reminds me of what is employed in LF2 neuer Stern.

4. Feedback on what I feel about Davis in the video:
  • It looks like pressing A once leads to 2 punches. Not a fan of doing it this way as it makes a small input takes away control from the player for much longer.
  • That blue shadow movement punch thing seems pretty overpowered; it seems like you're completely invulnerable while doing it and the MP cost is really low(or maybe you're getting too much MP from hitting someone), so you can keep spamming it.
  • Dash Attack (>>JA)'s itr Dvx/Dvy values don't seem to really match with the sprites. The sprites suggest a much stronger downward force than the data suggests.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by:
(05-29-2020, 11:24 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  I saw this in the morning, but was not able to comment until later.

My impressions thus far:
1. A mod with lots of EXE edits? Nice!
Will there be any plans for AI changes?

2. So you're going for a focus on Army vs Army fights like in Battle mode, with some core mechanic changes.
I personally don't agree with some of the reasons for the change, for example:
  • What if I used a physical attack that costs MP(eg: Davis DvA or D^A)? I would argue that its even less fair, because physical attacks require you to get close and commit, whereas projectiles can be used safely from afar.
  • Flipping is actually not that overpowered. In fact, a bad flip in original LF2 is often far worse than not flipping, since it leads to the enemy being able to perform a 2nd full combo on you.
  • Being vulnerable during a flip, combined with the focus on big army fights & being vulnerable while lying, means that it is much more likely that the big army can keep hitting a player down indefinitely. You would have to add some kind of way for players to escape from this kind of situaton(perhaps at cost of MP). That being said, the video makes it seem like you can get up instantly so getting hit while lying isn't really a thing?
  • Rolling being invulnerable is at least an internally consistent mechanic within LF2, even if not consistent with the hitboxes on other parts.
That being said, I'm happy to see you take your interpretation further and make it interesting and balanced.

3. The style of moves and art strongly reminds me of what is employed in LF2 neuer Stern.

4. Feedback on what I feel about Davis in the video:
  • It looks like pressing A once leads to 2 punches. Not a fan of doing it this way as it makes a small input takes away control from the player for much longer.
  • That blue shadow movement punch thing seems pretty overpowered; it seems like you're completely invulnerable while doing it and the MP cost is really low(or maybe you're getting too much MP from hitting someone), so you can keep spamming it.
  • Dash Attack (>>JA)'s itr Dvx/Dvy values don't seem to really match with the sprites. The sprites suggest a much stronger downward force than the data suggests.

Greetings!
Thanks A LOT for the feedback. Since the project has many details, I chose to continue posting the news while editing more accurately(I even wrote a doc with each version and some dates with the ideas, reasons and problems. But I think it would be a lot of information at once).

I'm looking for someone who can discuss good decisions for a refined gameplay.

1) Yes. Almost 6 months learning Assembly only to make an original mod to the community.
AI? Yes. I would like and know how to program, but i have a list of steps and right now I'm dying trying to finish the mechanics concepts...

2) In the past I didn't like Battle Mode. But after playing a lot of DOTA, now is my favorite game mode. I also enjoy story mode in Hong-Ba and FOF(stage 1).

2.1) Good observation. In my concept Davis D^A and DvA is actually a mix of physical and magical attack, like Woody and Deep D> J, for exemple. The damage application/modifier is physical but the character is under the "magic-cloak" and can destroy projectiles.
As example: Rudolf fits perfectly as an assassin without magic techniques, using only illusions and weapons. Waiting for a window of opportunity to quickly execute the opponent.
But I'm not sure yet. A second idea would be to create priority levels for each attack (whether for magic, weapons or physical strikes). So who can destroy/excel in a clash would be the char with highest priority.
Sound fairer?

2.2) That's true. Fliping needed to be used wisely in the original LF2.
But I would like to create/test a new rule: if a character is launched in the air, he is in danger.
Objective: the player should be concerned with positioning and decision making.
Some characters might have escape skills, others may not...

2.3) Very well observed.
Theoretically there would be towers in this tactical scenario (which unfortunately I haven't even started to program yet), that would dramatically change the battle scenario.
Even without the towers, it is not so lethal be caughtby by a troop of enemies. All characters have their damage reduced and the MP cost/regen adjusted as well (low skill spam). And Monk is the only one of the "minions" who can hit a lying opponent.
Also, in the current version only heroes have "wait: 1" in the "lying" frames (not definitive).
Objective: to encourage caster-type chars to try finish enemies when an opportunity-windows apperars.

2.4) I agree.

3) Some Davis sprites is from LF2 neuer Stern. Correct. I need to ask for permission and I haven't edited the special thanks part yet.

4.1) Davis base attack is a single punch. if you input +A (in a successful hit) leads a secound fast punch.

4.2) Yeah... it's really overpowered. The video runs a old version. After hitting an enemy its restart the hole skill again from free cost.
It's a "rolling" Rudolf-like. Doesn't it look like it?
Current version:
SUPER-SONIC SPEED: D>J, 100MP cost.
Hight speed with DVZ. At the end of the skill, Davis will be in the running frames.
SONIC-PUNCH: +A(in SUPER-SONIC SPEED), 50MP cost.
Arest, 40 damage, fall: 45. Restart SUPER-SONIC SPEED in any direction.

4.3) Thanks for the idea. It will be implemented.
Thanks given by: Deep
Update.
Add DATES, whit 28 itens inside.

I will upload some gameplay pictures very near in future.
Thanks given by: Memento
Congratulations, great job, I am happy with this great project hahaha, I have not created mods for a long time but your work made me want to return to create my mods hahaha. I am surprised, my congratulations
Thanks given by: JCostal , Memento
(07-26-2020, 04:34 AM)FerZ Wrote:  Congratulations, great job, I am happy with this great project hahaha, I have not created mods for a long time but your work made me want to return to create my mods hahaha. I am surprised, my congratulations

Thx man. Comments like yours help me stay motivated.
A very precious fuel.

New video. But not so much changes so far.

Fall System remade.
Attributes remade.
New Sprites and Skills.
New Defence mechanic.

This topic https://lf-empire.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=11088 made me want play a little with Woody.
I actully dosen't have too much time to play, since now my project has a lot of things unfinished... also, all we have a life.

I think it will take longer than I imagined to publish the project.

Enjoy the gameplay.

New stuff: visual content.
Could someone do me a favor? I'm trying to create the final version for the Towers.
The original is too tall and covers those chars who are in the background:

[Image: nhG4Api.gif]

I'm trying a concept where there is more empty vertical space.
Any tips?

[Image: L9l4dPP.png] [Image: bqskrqH.png]
Thanks given by: memskey , FerZ
New Stuffs:

In fact I'm formulating again some ideas related to the number of skills per level each character will have. Because I fear that Lv1 was too boring.
But, to be quite honest, I'm tired of trying to create all concepts myself. I need help in this part. Opinions and suggestions.

Previously:
Lv 1: 1 skill
Lv 2: 2 skills
Lv 3: 3 skills
Lv 4: 4 skills
Lv 5: All-In (DJA, 500 mp, self-buff that grants +25% on the main attribute for 20s)
Lv 6: New passive
Lv EX: URF-mode

What I want now:
Lv 1: Main skill-set
Lv 2: 1 Super-skills
Lv 3: 2 Super-skills
Lv 4: 3 Super-skills
Lv 5: New passive
Lv 6: The next Super-skill will be permanently upgraded (only 1 out of 3)

URF mode: grants double HP and MP regeneration. For fun purposes and to end the game.

Main skill-set: is a set of inputs (Attack or Jump) where the character performs the same skill in a slightly different way.
For example:
Firen launches from 1 to 2 fireballs.
D ^ A: shoot upwards
D > A: shoot forward
D v A: diagonal downwards (jumping backwards)

Let's go to the part that matters:
Here are some new animations. Enjoy.

Davis: Standing
[Image: Lli274V.gif]

Davis: Main Skill-Set (D > J)
[Image: aHEqT7B.gif]

Davis: Main Skill-Set (D ^ J / D v J)
[Image: VStlELQ.gif]

Davis: Main Skill-Set (D > J + A)
[Image: kaXhcYa.gif]

[Image: S8z0573.gif]

Davis Super-Skill: Enegy Strafe
[Image: RI9Kx0Q.gif]

Davis Super-Skill: Enegy Strafe+ (upgraded)
[Image: PkqCQJy.gif]

Davis Super-Skill: Shoting Balls+ (upgraded)
[Image: cpuMfgk.gif]
Thanks given by: MoragWan , FerZ , Memento , luminance , bashscrazy
(08-16-2020, 07:01 PM)JCostal Wrote:  New Stuffs:

In fact I'm formulating again some ideas related to the number of skills per level each character will have. Because I fear that Lv1 was too boring.
But, to be quite honest, I'm tired of trying to create all concepts myself. I need help in this part. Opinions and suggestions.

Previously:
Lv 1: 1 skill
Lv 2: 2 skills
Lv 3: 3 skills
Lv 4: 4 skills
Lv 5: All-In (DJA, 500 mp, self-buff that grants +25% on the main attribute for 20s)
Lv 6: New passive

What I want now:
Lv 1: Main skill-set
Lv 2: 1 Super-skills
Lv 3: 2 Super-skills
Lv 4: 3 Super-skills
Lv 5: New passive
Lv 6: The next Super-skill will be permanently upgraded (only 1 out of 3)

URF mode: grants double HP and MP regeneration. For fun purposes and to end the game.

Main skill-set: is a set of inputs (Attack or Jump) where the character performs the same skill in a slightly different way.
For example:
Firen launches from 1 to 2 fireballs.
D ^ A: shoot upwards
D > A: shoot forward
D v A: diagonal downwards (jumping backwards)

Let's go to the part that matters:
Here are some new animations. Enjoy.

Davis: Standing
[Image: Lli274V.gif]

Davis: Main Skill-Set (D > J)
[Image: aHEqT7B.gif]

Davis: Main Skill-Set (D ^ J / D v J)
[Image: VStlELQ.gif]

[Image: kaXhcYa.gif]

[Image: S8z0573.gif]

Davis Super-Skill: Enegy Strafe
[Image: RI9Kx0Q.gif]

Davis Super-Skill: Enegy Strafe+ (upgraded)
[Image: PkqCQJy.gif]

Davis Super-Skill: Shoting Balls+ (upgraded)
[Image: cpuMfgk.gif]

Hey I have an idea for your mod ... I think if you know the NS Bourn mod, if you know it you know that when a character falls to the ground in a few seconds he is still vulnerable to blows .. I know that is not the type of ideas What are you looking for but it could be a good way to create more combos.
Thanks given by: JCostal
This is amazing, and I really like the light effect and particles.
Feel free to use the sprite from neuer Stern :D
Also, I could provide sprite of other characters though.
[Image: KUSm9Qq.png]
Thanks given by: letoangt , JCostal , MR ZERO
(08-22-2020, 07:56 PM)FerZ Wrote:  Hey I have an idea for your mod ... I think if you know the NS Bourn mod, if you know it you know that when a character falls to the ground in a few seconds he is still vulnerable to blows .. I know that is not the type of ideas What are you looking for but it could be a good way to create more combos.

Hey man.
If NS Bourn is a reference to neuer Stern, so Yes, I already played and enjoyed a lot.
This is a good idea, for sure. This change has been active since February.  :thumbsup:
I think it gives more potential for solo combos and team combos as well. And I also feel that it makes more sense to keep the characters hittable when on the ground.

The question is: since the recover/roll needs some kind of immunity, what visual indicator we could use to make it clear to players that the character is invulnerable (I prefer not use the blinking effect).

(08-24-2020, 03:01 PM)luminance Wrote:  This is amazing, and I really like the light effect and particles.
Feel free to use the sprite from neuer Stern :D
Also, I could provide sprite of other characters though.
[Image: KUSm9Qq.png]

Wow ... Wow man!
I played your old version of the Neuer Stern. Good game! Enjoy it for a long time.
I once saw your topic here in the community about a new version... and I'm still waiting to see it published man. Your work is AMAZING.

Look this Davis sprites. HOLLY MOLLY!!! Sooo good... Can i REALLY use it? @_@
Lets made a trade! Sprites of chars, effects, backgrounds and exes edition. Maybe i could help you with my stuffs.
You request, i help.

(by the way EVERRY SINGLE ONE who help or contribute with the project, regardless of the quantity, will have their name published with the mod)
Thanks given by: luminance , FerZ