Poll: Delete dead accounts?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yep
75.00%
21 75.00%
Nope
25.00%
7 25.00%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Accounts
? 
At the moment there are less than 30% of all members who have posted.
Should we delete the dead accounts (=accounts with 0 posts) to make the forums work more efficiently or not?
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
at least the ones which last visites are older than an month ..
[Image: Link.jpg]
| Arcanis | Dome | Kai [-finished-] | Drawings |

active again.
Thanks given by:
Well, I guess it's unanimous.
Check out my portfolio
Thanks given by:
Hmm... well, I guess I would say no to deleting dead accounts, mainly because I can't really think of a reason why we would need to delete them. Its not like they're taking up a lot of space and it seems like going through the accounts and deleting all the inactive ones could be time better spent. Plus, through the process of deleting old accounts, it is always possible that you'll delete the account of someone who might come back. And if the reason you delete old accounts is because we want more activity, then it almost seems counterproductive...
Thanks given by:
Problem is that unused accounts take up space, block other people who may want to take that certain user name, and now even guests can view attachments. There's no need for anybody to register, being inactive for a year or similar, and then suddenly start to post. If they suddenly want to post, they'd have to sacrifice probably not more than 3 minutes to register (I don't even assume that they read the forum rules...) to start their membership. And it's not like we want the forum to become more active by deleting member's accounts, not at all. Instead we want to prohibit people that are just here, but don't do anything. Looking at statistics, there will always be a little percentage that will be inactive, that's for sure. People have this desire to be the first one in anything (or quasi-first), so they register like crazy, and then they leave their accounts. Other forums, for example, automatically delete member's accounts who do not update their signature within one week. I do not say that this would be the right way for this forum, but it's definitely possible to automatically kill dead accounts (well, that sounds weird^^).
Long text, short conclusion, creating an automatic kill-dead-accounts-tool isn't the hardest thing on earth, and member's accounts are precious as long as the person hiding behind his/her nick is really active. There is definitely no advantage of having an account when you don't really have any privileges over a guest, viewing-wise.
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
heres the deal i would accept:

only members with 0 posts (that would require you to not delete tournament forums or the like turning some ppl into such afterwards)
only members who stayed like that for at least three months or more
upon registering the user has to be informed about that

a user getting his account deleted needs to be mailed about that fact (with all details)

that may increase the 'hello im new' kind of thread - but any sign of life should be enough to not delete a user
Thanks given by:
I agree with yinyin, but i would set the time limit at 50days---

(08-27-2008, 05:33 PM)YinYin Wrote:  that may increase the 'hello im new' kind of thread

Um, why not making a "newbie-board" for "hello im new" theads???
I HAVE SOME PROBLEMS WITH MY COMPUTER!
Please don't wonder when I suddenly dissapear for a while!
<a href="http://www.techno4ever.net">
[Image: banner01.gif]
</a>
rest of my siggy! (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2008, 08:51 PM)Hypermodder Wrote:  Um, why not making a "newbie-board" for "hello im new" theads???

because this is pure spam. I will not create one at any time!
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
www.lf-empire.de
Once I had a fortune, it said: "Leave now. Life is short. Time is luck"
Don't dream your life, live your dream!
Thanks given by:
Thread Starter - 'hi i nyu hao i dc'
Poster 1 - "1st hi!"
Poster 2 - "welcome!"
Poster 3 - "sup!"
Poster 4 - "hey!"
Poster 5 - "how are ya?"

I saw we delete all accounts with less than 1 posts that are over two weeks old.
Forget the two months, if somebody signed up a month ago and hasn't posted yet (which happens too often) said person aint comin' back (and also why would he care about such an account? That's the state your acc is in the second you make it)
Check out my portfolio
Thanks given by:
well if thy take much space and if they are not at all active, not even one post (I saw a lot of them accounts) DELETE them
If at first you don't succeed, you're probably not going skydiving again.
Thanks given by: